Looking at a 1965 Dart 270 Convertible - Questions

-

62toad

Reaction score
I am going to look at a 65 Dart Convertible tomorrow and have some general questions I hope someone can answer. The car is a slant six (225?) and 4-speed which the owner states is factory Hurst shifter. Was there a factory 4-speed Hurst shifter in a slant six and are there production numbers for convertibles with slant six and a 4-speed.

Thanks Mike

front.jpg

shifter.jpg

I am going to look at a 65 Dart Convertible tomorrow and have some general questions I hope someone can answer. The car is a slant six (225?) and 4-speed which the owner states is factory Hurst shifter. Was there a factory 4-speed Hurst shifter in a slant six and are there production numbers for convertibles with slant six and a 4-speed.

Thanks Mike

View attachment 1716228184

View attachment 1716228185
Nice car. Mopar didn't have many production figures for those cars. Yes, the 4 speeds had Hurst shifters in 65. May be @65dartcharger can help.

Great looking 65 Convertible. I hope it's a good deal for you.

From Galen's white book
There were 2819 270 Convertibles
1927 with 225-1's of those 20 had 4 speeds.

Code 235 on Body Code on Fender tag.

Last edited:
On the fender tag, there should be a 20 under letters AB and should also be a 3 under the letter D for 4 speed.

Last edited:
Good looking car, take a close look at the clutch pedal, looks bent to the left, look for play and cracking, next, gas pedal is not from 65 looks like later 60-70s, bring a flashlight, and you want to get under it to inspect for rust, hope it's clean and works for you to enjoy.

I have a 65 Cuda, slant with a Hurst 4-speed. Sadly, it is rusted out beyond all repair and is a parts donor now.

Good luck with that! Cool ride if sound.
I can't remember, someone here can I bet, the 4 speed slant bell was an early piece, I forget wha tyears but maybe two?? I guess it cold have a combo behind any model??
Just remember, rare and $$$ does not always have a bearing.

Well the owner said to come at noon to look at the car, drove 3-1/2 hours and got there at 11:30 and another buyer was just leaving to go to the bank and get money. I did get a chance to give the car a quick once over, not bad but not as nice as the pictures.
So it worked out well, I avoided another project and the new owner has a father/son project.
Thanks to all who replied.

Well the owner said to come at noon to look at the car, drove 3-1/2 hours and got there at 11:30 and another buyer was just leaving to go to the bank and get money. I did get a chance to give the car a quick once over, not bad but not as nice as the pictures.
So it worked out well, I avoided another project and the new owner has a father/son project.
Thanks to all who replied.

I missed out on a 48 Chrysler, in between looking at the car, and going to the bank for the cash, the owner sold it. Maybe gone 45 minutes. Ended up getting a 73 coronet for $75 the next weekend. So worked out for the better, IMO

Missed out on a $500 67 1/2 Firebird, under a similar situation to yours. Was on route and he sold it before I could get there. Still wish I hadn't missed out on that one. I told myself, it must not have been meant to be.

Cheers!

-
Back