Looking for 11's

-

70net440

Reaction score
What sort of combo is needed to put a Duster in the 11's without any power adders? The old '71 "parts car" out back may be do for a makeover.

look at the mopar chassis book it pretty much tells all

Good idea, also try to make the car as light as possible.
What is your budget?
That has a lot to do with it as well. You are probably looking at running a big block IMHO.
Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Send me an email and i will give you all my details, its easy to do with a small block

Dave (Stroked340) might chime in here, his Duster is in the 11's. Basically a street car, nothing too fancy. Cast crank 416, Ed heads, drag radials yada yada yada.

You need around 500hp to get in the mid 11's with reasonable weight and good suspension. It's a lot easier to attain with a mild big block or a hotter small block. I'd like to get my Valiant into that same territory and will shoot for around 525hp.

well the cheapest way is with a big block take a 440 mill heads 20or40 pocket port them and gasket match them torker intake 780 holly 509 dc cam kit 3500 stall converter your most expense will be headers but you can find them used. and a spring kit in distributor. and if it doesn't run at least 11:70s call me and ill come and tune it for you. and as far as the car take an A body with stock springs un clamp the rear move those clamps to the front put 8 to 10 degrees pinon angle with 8to 10 inch. tire preferably Hoosier then and i know someone will have something to say about this but take front shocks off drill small hole in the top to let the fluid out put small sheet metal screw in hole put back on you know have a poor mans 90/10 shock.if it has a cover on it take it off your not dirt track racing.( for tires cheap go to a big sprint car race go in pits those boys change tires before the A main )and thos front tires are perfect and will fit under an A Body good and believe me they hook all and the rear at least a 430 or 456 gear. i know this works because iv dun it to 5or6 cars the best one ran 11:56. and went to the bracket finals two years in a row in the #3&4 spot. good luck..

I would vote for the 451. It will provide the best fit in an a body,as it uses the 400 block. Pistons are extremely light,making for a very quick revving engine and it has the 440 stroke and rod ratio if using 440 rods. Makes for gobs of torque.500 horse is easy and 600 not hard at all even with stock heads. It also has to be one of the most budget friendly big block combo's of any make,as it uses stock components and off the shelf pistons.

Slap a solid cam in it,cal tracs out back and a good solid frame to elimintate as much flex as possible. Loww 11's are easily within reach,and 10's are very possible with tuning.

The only issue with it is headers. There are some available,but either fenderwell,semi fenderwell or min ground clearance. The shumacher is probably best fit for the street,but its got small tubes.

Dave (Stroked340) might chime in here, his Duster is in the 11's. Basically a street car, nothing too fancy. Cast crank 416, Ed heads, drag radials yada yada yada.

My duster runs 11.0's with the stroker 11.80's with the stock stroke 360...

I did it with a stroked 340, 4000 stall, and 488 gears.

I'm running 11.50's with a mild 360. 10:1 Diamond forged pistons, slightly ported Eddy's, cast crank and rods, & the purple 508 hyd cam. All in a 3200 '67 barracuda with SS springs.

450hp, a well thought out verter/gear combo and a sorted out suspension will get you there.

In a 3300 pound car you need about 380 RWHP to go 11.95 or so with a car that works.

ET is in the chassis, MPH is the engine.

i am looking for high 10s. with a big block 68 dart street mosty. i have a uncle in Fla that has a 70 or 72 monte carlo 4000 lbs car with around 500 ci running 11. flat his best time. i drove it a few weeks ago and my first run was 11.38 or so and i did not wait on the shift light to shift the second run was 11.12 @ 122 mph and his best run on the night was 11.11 i will have to beat that with the mopar and 1000lbs less of a car.

11s are easy no need for a big block take one 70 dodge dart put glass fenders, hood and bumper on front end and a set of 90/10 shocks I use comp engineering ones then move rear springs inward 3 inches and back space a rim to fit to run 275 50 15 or 275 60 15s attack supperstock springs and a set of above mentioned shocks. frame rail connectors, torque boxes and an 8 point roll cage to make it nice and stiff i the rear run a set of 4:30s I use a dana myself buy a Dynamic stall converter I have a 2800rpm 9 1/2 incher in the tranny and a reverse manual valve body in a 727. for the engine a 360 with a partial fill, use a stroker kit to make it a 408 atleast, 10 1/2 to 1 pistons rods etc, and a set of out of the box eddy heads and there you have it my fellow mopar friends 1190 car and im hitting the chip mid way down the track.... its to easy to go fast in a mopar not like them chevy boys and girls lol

oh aits attach not attack and run a might demon card with mechanical seconds and your good to go

My 73 Dart Sport weighs 3275 with me in it. I run a 70 340, TRW stock replacement pistons, stock crank & rods, MP 296/557 cam, 2.02/1.60 915 J heads that I ported at home, MP single plane, 750 HP style carb, Hooker 1 3/4"'s, 3" H-pipe, Dyno Max race magnums, 727 w/2.77 low gear set, manual reverse VB, Frank Lupo 5000 stall, 8 3/4 with 4.10's, orignal 73 340 leafs w/ Cal Trac's = 11.90 @ 110! Not sure that I have even 400 HP, and haven't had the engine out in almost 7 years!O:)

11s are easy no need for a big block take one 70 dodge dart put glass fenders, hood and bumper on front end and a set of 90/10 shocks I use comp engineering ones then move rear springs inward 3 inches and back space a rim to fit to run 275 50 15 or 275 60 15s attack supperstock springs and a set of above mentioned shocks. frame rail connectors, torque boxes and an 8 point roll cage to make it nice and stiff i the rear run a set of 4:30s I use a dana myself buy a Dynamic stall converter I have a 2800rpm 9 1/2 incher in the tranny and a reverse manual valve body in a 727. for the engine a 360 with a partial fill, use a stroker kit to make it a 408 atleast, 10 1/2 to 1 pistons rods etc, and a set of out of the box eddy heads and there you have it my fellow mopar friends 1190 car and im hitting the chip mid way down the track.... its to easy to go fast in a mopar not like them chevy boys and girls lol

No need for fibreglass either..my '70 duster weights 3450 with me in it ALL steel except AAR hood,full interior,roll bar,full exhaust,steel wheels...

Here's a stock slant six suspension,74 Duster with a 440,pistons .160 down in the hole with Stage-6 heads,Schumacher headers,Performer rpm intake,Holley 750 dp carb,3.91 8 1/4 rear end.
Car runs 11.75 et's off the juice.

IMGP1289.jpg

IMGP0481.jpg

How is that 8 1/4 holding up behind that 440? What mods have you made to it for racing?

i ran 11.70@117 with this duster. it had a 8.9-1 440 with a 525 comp hydraulic with a team g and a 850dp and 410's

totally mismatched and i am surprised it went as well as it did. 11's are easy with a big block.

dusterburnout.jpg

-
Back