Looking for a part

-

rednesss

Reaction score
Anyone know of a combination oil pressure sending unit and cutoff switch that will thread into the 3/8" npt port and work with the stock gauges on my 68 Barracuda?? I'm looking for something that can turn a relay on and off based upon the engine actually running, and if the engine isn't running, there shouldn't be any oil pressure.

You could use a regular idiot light switch and use it to drive a relay with an NC contact pair (NC = 'normally closed' = contacts closed with the relay deactivated, which it would be when the pressure was up). Run it from switched ignition power to so it only pulls power with the key in RUN. Not sure that is what you want to do.... what are you trying to accomplish?

I wanted to use it to trigger a relay that would feed the electric choke on my carb. If I leave the key on ACC for any reason, it continues to get power.

OK, the way I suggested would not work since you would not want to switch the choke power via the ignition. Why not just activate a relay from switched ignition power and use that to switch power to the choke?

I think his idea is good.
If you power up the signal side of the relay from the ig sw, and send the return through the OP sw to ground, assuming its a NO sw it should work.(I have seen some 3-wire OP switches) He could mount the relay on the firewall near the choke wiring and just splice into it there. The additional Ig.Sw.load would just be the relay coil itself. Sounds ok to me.

Ok wait. Thats what you said. Ima going back to sleep now.

Get down to your local NAPA and into the pictorial guide. There are oil switches used in the 80s? GM? stuff comes to mind that had 2 or 3 terminals. They were used for the warning lamp as well as a fuel pump kill switch. Late 70's Toy pickups used them I believe

-
Back