Looking for a Stant/MOPAR radiator cap for my 73 Dart

-

318MoparGuy

MoparHokie
Reaction score
I am looking for a Stant/Mopar radiator cap Model#/Part# that will work on my 73 Dart 318/26" rad...A/C car with the Coolant Recovery system. I didn't think it was going to this difficult to find one, the Stant site told me a 10231 would work, but when I got it...it said VENTED on it and the one I have now DOES NOT say VENTED on it and for that reason I don't want to try it. Any help would be appreciated....thank you.
Greg

Stant 10229 Radiator Cap 13psi
Stant 10329 Lev-R Vent Radiator Cap 13psi

This is what I have, might try rock auto to see what # comes up.

Hmmm just checked on orielly auto parts and they show it as a 16 psi relief pressure not 13

Napa says 16 psi as well.

Advanced auto lists the number you mentioned as 10231
And is rated for 16 psi relief.

Does your old one have a brass cap or plug in the center of it? If so it is vented

Oh all the oe style caps will be vented, this is to relieve pressure in the event of pressure build up to prevent hoses from blowing out etc

Hi All,
First of all...thanks to Rbob and 71DodgeDemon340 for their responses. I talked to Mike at Stant yesterday and he said that the 10229 will work fine for the open and closed systems. Since it is a 13lb. cap, Stant rates it as being acceptable for any system in the 12-16lb. range. You get 3 degrees boilover protection for each lb. and so the 13lb. cap will give you a 254 degree boilover limit. I prefer having a little less pressure on my system given the age of our cars. Just wanted to give an update and maybe help someone else on FABO.
Thanks,
Greg

I miscalculated boil over limit for a 13lb cap....it should be 264 degrees...not 254 as previously stated....Thanks.

I had a couple od rad repaired in Joplin Mo shop that has been in business 40 years! the man there said these old rad used a 7 lb cap, he said use that on these 50 year old rads. I did stop at NAPA and found them readily avail for like $7. anyone have an input on these 7 lb caps??????

The only thing using a lower pressure cap might do is reduce the boiling point and possibly save marginal tubes from exploding. Seems to me a guy in the radiator repair business would WANT the radiator to explode so he could then repair it.

Here's the type of cap a '73 Dart or Duster came with. Nevermind the date code, the same part number is on my 49k Valiant.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-3...cts-/371141382432?hash=item5669c01120&vxp=mtr

-
Back