Looking For Another Job--Kinda Long Rant

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the way things are going at the shop I find myself looking for another job.

Ive been there for 10 1/2 years and hate to leave as I've got a great report with nearly everyone in every department. I started at the bottom and have worked my way up to co-operating the weld department with 2 other leads. However, I don't get along with the floor manager who is also the paint dept manager. He used to be just the paint dept manager but was put in place as the floor manager temporarily. He used to be cool but once he got that power he became an A-hole. I've actually been there 2 years longer than him. He's older and has run 2 other shops that's went out of business. He also is addicted to prescription pain meds and has to attain them illegally.

The way he treats people is absolutely deplorable. A couple years ago, a guy in his department who I got to know as I helped him put a roll pan on his custom 53 Chevy, had been missing work as his wife was on her death bed from cancer. This a-hole had the audacity to call him in and tell him that he needed to let what was going to happen to his wife happen and be at work!!! From what I was told, tears just streamed down his face.

Another incident I witnessed first hand was a guy on my shift's wife left him and was divorcing him and he was missing work because of it. He called him into the weld office and told him that it's been told that it's family first, work second, but in his opinion, it's work first, family second and that he needed to be at work!! Like I said the guy is an A-hole. He was in the Marines for like 4 years back in the late 70's or 80's or something like that but still tries to act like he's a drill sergeant or something. What's worse is he professes to be a Christian and always wears hoodies with "God's not dead" and so on.

Last July we hired in a new floor manager whom I got to know pretty well. He was actually going to fire him but the lead under him wouldn't step up to the plate even though that guy has been here longer than me! He did end up firing my boss which allowed me step up in position. Well, this floor manager had enough of the front end and ended up quitting in December after combining all 3 shifts onto one shift, hence, the need for 3 managers. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago, we were notified by the A-hole that he was going to hire the old weld manager back, grrrr! He didn't even try to promote or ask one of us to take the position, no interview, nothing. When he let us know about hiring this guy back, he gave some pep talk about how it's less stress and responsibility for us. He then asked if any of us had been to any supervisor leadership seminars. He asked the other two and they said no and when he got to me I told him I had several leadership and public speaking classes in college. He completely ignored it and disregarded it like I said nothing, then moved on to saying some other BS.

Ive talked to several other dept managers and they agreed this shouldn't happen. The A-hole also said that either I or the younger of us three would be demoted. Well the old guy started back 2 weeks ago and has been treating me as the lesser. He even ignores questions I ask and will just sit there and stare at his computer. I have a feeling that it'll be me getting the demotion. The younger dude has been kissing his A since he's gotten back. Things he never would do, he's now doing and everyone has made comments about it. This younger guy has zero people skills and when it was just us, he would disappear and just be walking around looking for metal/scrap to take home as well as he was caught working on his own projects on company time. He's also only been here for 6 years and a lead for 8 months actually by default. The most terrible thing is, he deals pain pills! Go figure. He was dealing to a welder, who ended up quitting for another job, as well as sells weed to the welder's brother. Guess who favors this lead? That's right, the floor manager! He's the only one he'll page to his desk as well as call over the radio to do his bidding!! It's just frustrating as I was the one covering his jobs as well as covering the floor when the 3rd guy was gone. I did; however, make it to HR on Thursday to let her know of the pain pill dealings. I was told this by 2 employees so I'm obligated to let HR know :)

Anyways, I'm tired of the drama and wanted to move up but now that door is closed. Everyone I've talked to including the welders, QA dept, Machine dept, and processing dept has expressed their discontent for this other lead and all said they would be upset if I get demoted.
I've told many of them that I'll be looking for another job if this happens as well but I think I'm just ready for something else anyway. Again, the drama and the A-hole floor manager, and the rehired Weld dept manager.

I've been told by several floor guys that these guys are treating me this way because they know I can do their jobs better than them and feel threatened, so now they're doing all they can to make me seem irrelevant. Makes sense to me.

I'll be looking for a manger position in any other field as well, hopefully something pops up soon!! I know this is long but thanks for letting me rant :)

Last edited:
Sorry for your discontent..... Pretty strong accusations you wrote and I personally would contact admin here and try to have the thread deleted.... HR departments loves to google friend....

Good luck,
JW

Unfortunately, the way things are going at the shop I find myself looking for another job.

Ive been there for 10 1/2 years and hate to leave as I've got a great report with nearly everyone in every department. I started at the bottom and have worked my way up to co-operating the weld department with 2 other leads. However, I don't get along with the floor manager who is also the paint dept manager. He used to be just the paint dept manager but was put in place as the floor manager temporarily. He used to be cool but once he got that power he became an A-hole. I've actually been there 2 years longer than him. He's older and has run 2 other shops that's went out of business. He also is addicted to prescription pain meds and has to attain them illegally.

The way he treats people is absolutely deplorable. A couple years ago, a guy in his department who I got to know as I helped him put a roll pan on his custom 53 Chevy, had been missing work as his wife was on her death bed from cancer. This a-hole had the audacity to call him in and tell him that he needed to let what was going to happen to his wife happen and be at work!!! From what I was told, tears just streamed down his face.

Another incident I witnessed first hand was a guy on my shift's wife left him and was divorcing him and he was missing work because of it. He called him into the weld office and told him that it's been told that it's family first, work second, but in his opinion, it's work first, family second and that he needed to be at work!! Like I said the guy is an A-hole. He was in the Marines for like 4 years back in the late 70's or 80's or something like that but still tries to act like he's a drill sergeant or something. What's worse is he professes to be a Christian and always wears hoodies with "God's not dead" and so on.

Last July we hired in a new floor manager whom I got to know pretty well. He was actually going to fire him but the lead under him wouldn't step up to the plate even though that guy has been here longer than me! He did end up firing my boss which allowed me step up in position. Well, this floor manager had enough of the front end and ended up quitting in December after combining all 3 shifts onto one shift, hence, the need for 3 managers. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago, we were notified by the A-hole that he was going to hire the old weld manager back, grrrr! He didn't even try to promote or ask one of us to take the position, no interview, nothing. When he let us know about hiring this guy back, he gave some pep talk about how it's less stress and responsibility for us. He then asked if any of us had been to any supervisor leadership seminars. He asked the other two and they said no and when he got to me I told him I had several leadership and public speaking classes in college. He completely ignored it and disregarded it like I said nothing, then moved on to saying some other BS.

Ive talked to several other dept managers and they agreed this shouldn't happen. The A-hole also said that either I or the younger of us three would be demoted. Well the old guy started back 2 weeks ago and has been treating me as the lesser. He even ignores questions I ask and will just sit there and stare at his computer. I have a feeling that it'll be me getting the demotion. The younger dude has been kissing his A since he's gotten back. Things he never would do, he's now doing and everyone has made comments about it. This younger guy has zero people skills and when it was just us, he would disappear and just be walking around looking for metal/scrap to take home as well as he was caught working on his own projects on company time. He's also only been here for 6 years and a lead for 8 months actually by default. The most terrible thing is, he deals pain pills! Go figure. He was dealing to a welder, who ended up quitting for another job, as well as sells weed to the welder's brother. Guess who favors this lead? That's right, the floor manager! He's the only one he'll page to his desk as well as call over the radio to do his bidding!! It's just frustrating as I was the one covering his jobs as well as covering the floor when the 3rd guy was gone. I did; however, make it to HR on Thursday to let her know of the pain pill dealings. I was told this by 2 employees so I'm obligated to let HR know :)

Anyways, I'm tired of the drama and wanted to move up but now that door is closed. Everyone I've talked to including the welders, QA dept, Machine dept, and processing dept has expressed their discontent for this other lead and all said they would be upset if I get demoted.
I've told many of them that I'll be looking for another job if this happens as well but I think I'm just ready for something else anyway. Again, the drama and the A-hole floor manager, and the rehired Weld dept manager.

I've been told by several floor guys that these guys are treating me this way because they know I can do their jobs better than them and feel threatened, so now they're doing all they can to make me seem irrelevant. Makes sense to me.

I'll be looking for a manger position in any other field as well, hopefully something pops up soon!! I know this is long but thanks for letting me rant :)
I feel 'ya.... I have been outspoken to idiot's in management, in auto parts chains... If you don't like the smell..ride it out quietly, and search.... Just a couple of questions: ...Is the number of jobs, decreasing... ? And is the annual weekly / monthly gross income dropping, since team genius came on? I know you don't have actual numbers, the shop usually gets a feel (and an atmosphere set),about changing , like this...

I take it that the police position didn't pan out?? Sorry to hear about this strife in your job, it makes it super hard to get anything done under these conditions! Which should be your podium if you end up quitting!! Even if it's taken as sour grapes, it will plant the seed that these people need to be watched, and of course that's the last thing they want!! My heart is there with you Jeremy!! Good luck brother!!

I take it that the police position didn't pan out?? Sorry to hear about this strife in your job, it makes it super hard to get anything done under these conditions! Which should be your podium if you end up quitting!! Even if it's taken as sour grapes, it will plant the seed that these people need to be watched, and of course that's the last thing they want!! My heart is there with you Jeremy!! Good luck brother!!
sounds like u need to move on , now . been in situations like that, myself, ( more than once) where the the suck *** is promoted. it will iron itself out sooner or later, but u may not want to wait that long ! sure takes some bosses a long time to wake up !! I`d go in and tell them about it and walk out "after telling them why", if u can afford it.

Hi Geof, the police didn't pan out due to stupid reasons out of my control. There was a lieutenant on the panel during my oral boards at my last attempt that didn't like me or the way I looked or something like that I was told. That was the second attempt. They haven't really tried hiring since.

Yeah, that was long. Dress in all black. Jump him in a dark alley one night and beat his *** with a hose covered pipe.

Sounds like a job not a career. My pops is about to retire. I asked him how he liked his job and what he's learned over the last 36 years. "Hate it! Do your job, be invisible, stay out of everyone's business". Basically what I got out of it is the guy that can change things doesn't, and the guy that can't change things takes it from all angles.

I've had jobs where the hire from outside instead of giving a loyal employee the chance

-
Back