Looking for ideas - configure tow van for race car hauling

-

Garry in AZ

Building a 9 second Valiant
Reaction score
I just acquired a decent 2006 3/4 ton Chevy van that I plan to use to pull my car to and from the track with, as well as use as an occasional camper for my annual trips to Bonneville.
I plan to fit a small portable generator, air compressor, and a modest toolbox. In addition, I will need to carry fuel, maybe a spare set of tires, oil and other fluids... the normal stuff you might need for a weekend at the track.
I'd be interested in seeing what you guys have done to equip your tow vehicle for use in the pits, and also occasionally sleeping in it. How do you do tool and fluid storage? Where do you sleep? Did you air condition it? What issues have you found with a setup like this? I'd like to do the whole thing for around 2500 bucks if possible. I already have a small Honda generator, and a pancake compressor that I can use.
Looking forward to learning from the experts here...

cargo van bunk.jpg
I had an old 80's B350 vintage boogie van with a bed in the back. Also had a B150 where I hauled my band equipment and slept on the speakers.

My best one was the E350 I used to haul automotive freight. I mounted E-track 'load bar' mounts along side each sidewall then bought aluminum load bars like they use to block in trailer loads then I used 2x4's across the van and screwed in 1/2" plywood and slept on a piece of 4" foam

Load Locks and Shoring Beams - E/A Track Tie Downs

Last edited:
^Unlike the photo above you want a BULKHEAD!!^ Weight distro is likely key. Might want some overloads/ air bags of some sort on the rear of the van. I would not want fuel in the van with me. Maybe a box on the trailer?

Keep weight out of the rear of the van with the trailer, "behind the wheels"

I agree bulkhead/"headache rack" would be a wise addition.
I do like that e-track stuff. They make tons of accessories for the e-track. They also have e-track and accessories for the walls.

Yep, it already has a bulkhead installed. This was a FedEx van.

Mesa to Bonneville towing with a loaded van.... I’m thinking not in a hurry and GEARS!!

1AF5E41B-89F6-4589-A9F1-C11FEFDC980B.jpeg
I built a bunk in the front of my 24” enclosed trailer using the etrack and the aluminum shoring beams. Worked well. I installed two 6 volt golf cart batteries and have an inverter. Provides all the power I need for a weekend.

Thanks for the photos, tips and ideas fellas, keep em coming!
I will be doing the E track for sure, to hold down things like my toolbox etc.
There is some debate about whether or not I should insulate it. I won't be using it in any real cold weather, but I will be using it in some serious heat. Some say uninsulated is better in the heat. Not planning to add air conditioning but that could change.
What do you like for flooring? I was thinking plywood covered with that coin top rubber mat.

is that a flat screen TV, too? hahaha, way to rough it!
Yes it is, I tried to mount a 50” one that I won in a raffle, but I’m sure it would have not survived bouncing around. It is a 9” temperpedic mattress, you have to be comfortable. I have slept in the back of the car when I drove it to the track. This is better. :)
I bought the etrack and beams through us cargo control. They seemed good on price.

Wood floor definitely with the heat... my last trailer was wood floor with an industrial carpet overlay. I really liked that

-
Back