Looking for more HP from a 360

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I,m looking to get more HP from my 360 with X heads.Here,s what I have..
77 360
crank is .10 over
pistons .30 over
Xheads with mild P&P
484 cam
rpm air-gap intake with holley 750v.s
stock dizzy with MSD 6al
Spitfire headers to 2 1/2 exhaust
tranny is 904,trans-go 2 kit,2500 stall
8 3/4 3.91,s

I,d like to get more HP,so do I get my heads fully done or Eddy alumi.?New bottomend?This is for my 66 Dart mostly strip,but the odd show.This winter it will be getting a minitub,spring reloc. kit and maybe a cage.Now I,ve read about 9 different builds with stock bottomend up to 500hp,so can I use this bottomend and have my X heads completely done and what cam for max.hp?Any advise will be taken in to consideration for a new engine build.Thanks

you have a dart sport , i do to, mind is a 1974. The bumpers on the dart sport are very heavy with the brackets its 85 pounds of weight both front and back. I got some fiberglass ones, i notice a difference in performance, picked uo nearly 2 10ths,

you have a dart sport , i do to, mind is a 1974. The bumpers on the dart sport are very heavy with the brackets its 85 pounds of weight both front and back. I got some fiberglass ones, i notice a difference in performance, picked uo nearly 2 10ths,
Thanks,but in my post it says...this is for my 66 Dart.The Dart Sport is retireing from the track.

sorry,, i should have read the tread better, saw picture of your blue dart sport

Single plane intake might make more power.

What kind of cam do you want, Scott? Solids rev more but tend to make the peak HP occur later in the RPM range. Might need a better converter if you go solid. Might need one anyway.

Lunati makes the Voodoo line which seem to be pretty good hydraulics. Quick acting ramps and more lift at the valve, like over 300 lbs/ft of torque @ 2,500 rpm should get things moving.

Hughes also has a ton of cams to choose from. They have a solid cam I like, .534" int/.563 ex. I ran it through Desktop Dyno 2000 with a stock bore, stock stroke 360 - makes around 440 hp with a single plane intake, 800 cfm carb, headers and a little over 10.5:1 CR. Peak torque is a little over 4K rpm, hence the possible need for more converter.

Single plane intake might make more power.

What kind of cam do you want, Scott? Solids rev more but tend to make the peak HP occur later in the RPM range. Might need a better converter if you go solid. Might need one anyway.

Lunati makes the Voodoo line which seem to be pretty good hydraulics. Quick acting ramps and more lift at the valve, like over 300 lbs/ft of torque @ 2,500 rpm should get things moving.

Hughes also has a ton of cams to choose from. They have a solid cam I like, .534" int/.563 ex. I ran it through Desktop Dyno 2000 with a stock bore, stock stroke 360 - makes around 440 hp with a single plane intake, 800 cfm carb, headers and a little over 10.5:1 CR. Peak torque is a little over 4K rpm, hence the possible need for more converter.
Hey rmchrgr,I,ve even thought about another stroker motor and yes I,ll be upgrading my stall convertor.I,m still not sure on the solids,but to get the hp 3,s I want I might not have a choice.This will be 90% strip after minitub.

I'd go with more stall(like 3500+), scrap that vacuum secondary for a HP Holley DP, and maybe cosider some long tube headers. If thats not enough, some Edelbrock heads should wake it up! Just my 2cents.O:)

I,m looking to get more HP from my 360 with X heads.Here,s what I have..
77 360
crank is .10 over
pistons .30 over
Xheads with mild P&P
484 cam
rpm air-gap intake with holley 750v.s
stock dizzy with MSD 6al
Spitfire headers to 2 1/2 exhaust
tranny is 904,trans-go 2 kit,2500 stall
8 3/4 3.91,s

I,d like to get more HP,so do I get my heads fully done or Eddy alumi.?New bottomend?This is for my 66 Dart mostly strip,but the odd show.This winter it will be getting a minitub,spring reloc. kit and maybe a cage.Now I,ve read about 9 different builds with stock bottomend up to 500hp,so can I use this bottomend and have my X heads completely done and what cam for max.hp?Any advise will be taken in to consideration for a new engine build.Thanks

How much $$$ do you have to spend?
You will need to change the headers, go to better internals in the trans and at least 3200rpm in the converter to really see any benefiet from more engine.

I hate X heads...the exhaust port really sucks big time in those heads. "J" heads are better after porting.
Best bang for the buck is probably the RHS heads or EQ heads, unless you just want aluminum heads...then the eddy heads work great, especially with porting.

Hey rmchrgr,I,ve even thought about another stroker motor and yes I,ll be upgrading my stall convertor.I,m still not sure on the solids,but to get the hp 3,s I want I might not have a choice.This will be 90% strip after minitub.

How fast do you want to go? That car is pretty light. For argument's sake, to go mid 11's I think you need approximately 380hp at the wheels with a 3,100lb car. That means you need around 450-460 hp at the crank when you factor in frictional drive line loss. If you go with a solid cam, you can obviously get there with a 360 but street driving may suffer some since your torque peak will be much later on in the rpm band. To be effective, your converter will likely be over 4,000rpm stall.

If you use the online calculators they get you in the ballpark. I've plugged in some real numbers and they're pretty accurate. They help me put things in perspective when I'm building stuff on paper.

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/Calculators.asp#8

http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

Edelbrock heads...Lunati 60403 cam .494/.513 lift..750/850 mech.secondary carb..3500 stall converter,you'll be moving then..:-D:-D

Yes, but which pistons? Flat top or dish? At zero deck or below? If below, how much? What I'm getting at is if this is a factory type rebuild with stock performance in mind then there is only so far it makes sense to go. It's going into a light car... I plan on a similar thing for my '65 but it will look like and run 273hp manifolding. But I'm starting with a flat top zero deck piston so the compression is a couple points better right off the bat.

Yes, but which pistons? Flat top or dish? At zero deck or below? If below, how much? What I'm getting at is if this is a factory type rebuild with stock performance in mind then there is only so far it makes sense to go. It's going into a light car... I plan on a similar thing for my '65 but it will look like and run 273hp manifolding. But I'm starting with a flat top zero deck piston so the compression is a couple points better right off the bat.
Pistons are flat top,.021 in the hole.

I think as far as power goes, like OU said you need to upgrade the headers or concentrate on getting more basic stuff and a better cam. Your current compression is low at around 9.4 and the cam is large duration and single pattern which is not helping witht he head port and header combo you have. Add static ratio and get a cam with less overlap that closes the exh valve earlier. If it was me, I'd run the Edelbrock RPMs with the chamber reduced to 58ccs and replace the cam with something like the XE284H or the Lunati 60404.

Thanks Moper,I,m leaning towards the eddy heads,a new cam(not sure which one yet)new carb and gonna look into some custom headders.I,m gonna have to sell the 2500 stall and up it to atleast a 3500 if not 4000.Atleast my bottom end is new,so that will save minimal amount.Now what about a windage tray(not sure if I have one in 77 360)Duh!And will I need a new high volume oil pump?

Petty,what are you running for times??..heres my 360 set up which has gone 11.80's,in a '70 duster weighting 3450 with me in it,should be quicker next weekend with the cooler..:'77 360 block 30 over and decked
stock stroke crank 10/10
eagle rods
speed pro pistons/rings 10.7 to 1 comp.
edelbrock 65 cc heads slightly ported
Lunati .533/.552 cam 4 degrees advanced..
air gap gasket matched/center milled 1/2"..
quick fuel 850
complete msd ignition
tti headers
3800 stall 9 1/2" converter
4.30 gears...this combo went in the 11.70's with the smaller 60403 cam...:-D

Petty,what are you running for times??..heres my 360 set up which has gone 11.80's,in a '70 duster weighting 3450 with me in it,should be quicker next weekend with the cooler..:'77 360 block 30 over and decked
stock stroke crank 10/10
eagle rods
speed pro pistons/rings 10.7 to 1 comp.
edelbrock 65 cc heads slightly ported
Lunati .533/.552 cam 4 degrees advanced..
air gap gasket matched/center milled 1/2"..
quick fuel 850
complete msd ignition
tti headers
3800 stall 9 1/2" converter
4.30 gears...this combo went in the 11.70's with the smaller 60403 cam...:-D
First and last time out i ran a best of 13.72@94 with it breaking up at the 1000ft mark.Now you have to remember that I haven,t had this original 6 cyl. car for a year yet.So getting to where I am has been a speedy process with work and my other car also,so this winter I,d like to step it up.I won,t be racing the 73 Dart Sport anymore.So that I can put all my attention and funds into the 66 Dart.Stroked340 your times are nice and I also hope to be in the mid to low 11,s with this light early-A.I,ll be stiffing up the undercarriage first,then onto the motor and tranny.Thanks for advise from all,I appreaciate the options and opinions.

Truthfully I dont think I'd go full custom just yet. But, the spitfires are a header compromised a bit to fit. The TTIs would be a header compromised less to fit and would support a bit more power. Full customs would be the best but they will be made for this plant... not something I'd spend the big coin on. I don't run the HVs unless the bottom end has issues. I'm a firm believer in windage trays even on strokers, but I tweak them a little to open up the escape paths.

suspension. It ain't always about the horsepower.

eeeewwwweeee.....you got me!! Guess he'll just have to live with his current HP level even though he specifically asked how to get more HP...?
Why don't you give us all the details so that the OP can get as much out of his car as possible?

-
Back