Looking for wheels

-

ktcnn94

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been answered in another thread but I just can't find the info I'm looking for. I'll make it quick and hopefully not confuse anyone. I've got a '71 swinger. I have a 8.25 rear with 4.5 bc but I have the factory disc brakes on the front that have the 4" bc. Here's what I'm trying to do, I want a bigger tire under the rear, I'm game for the mini tub and the spring relocation but from what I've read (I know I'll have to measure my own) it looks like the general rule most people are running is a 15x10 wheel with 7.5 back space, the only wheel I've found that has that is the weld wheel, but they don't seem to offer a wheel with the 4" pattern on the front. I want my wheels to match and don't really want to use adapters on the front because that'll probably push the fronts out too far. I looked at coys wheels and they offer the 4" bc but no wheel that's 10" wide with enough backspace. I'm not opposed to narrowing the rear but it looks like the axles may be hard to find. And with buying wheels, tires, tubbing it's gonna start adding up the $$$ if I try to narrow. Believe me I know you gotta pay to play but I gotta watch what I spend. Anyway, does anybody have any other wheel choices or ideas that I haven't came up with. I'm also not opposed to going with 17 or 18 wheels but still wanna get as much under the rear as I can. Please share any photos or ideas you have. Thanks for any and all help and a big Thanks for this forum and its members. I also prefer chrome over polished. Thanks.

I'm sure this has been answered in another thread but I just can't find the info I'm looking for. I'll make it quick and hopefully not confuse anyone. I've got a '71 swinger. I have a 8.25 rear with 4.5 bc but I have the factory disc brakes on the front that have the 4" bc. Here's what I'm trying to do, I want a bigger tire under the rear, I'm game for the mini tub and the spring relocation but from what I've read (I know I'll have to measure my own) it looks like the general rule most people are running is a 15x10 wheel with 7.5 back space, the only wheel I've found that has that is the weld wheel, but they don't seem to offer a wheel with the 4" pattern on the front. I want my wheels to match and don't really want to use adapters on the front because that'll probably push the fronts out too far. I looked at coys wheels and they offer the 4" bc but no wheel that's 10" wide with enough backspace. I'm not opposed to narrowing the rear but it looks like the axles may be hard to find. And with buying wheels, tires, tubbing it's gonna start adding up the $$$ if I try to narrow. Believe me I know you gotta pay to play but I gotta watch what I spend. Anyway, does anybody have any other wheel choices or ideas that I haven't came up with. I'm also not opposed to going with 17 or 18 wheels but still wanna get as much under the rear as I can. Please share any photos or ideas you have. Thanks for any and all help and a big Thanks for this forum and its members. I also prefer chrome over polished. Thanks.
try Centerline and I know you can special order width and offset

Ok, I'll give them a look. Thank you.

With a '71 Dart you should be able to fit a 275 in the back with just a 1/2" spring offset, so the only thing you'd have to do for that is move the axle perches. Getting into a mini-tub and shortening the housing is going to get pricey really quick, so it just depends on how much tire you want and what you want to spend. But if you can live with a 275/60/15 you can use the 1/2" spring offset and 15x8's, lots more options for rims in that size in a backspacing that will work even with the 275's. Doing the 1/2" spring offset will cost a couple hundred bucks for the hangers, shackles and perches, plus whatever you have to pay a welder to move the perches if you can't do it yourself. The spring relocation and mini-tub will cost close to a couple grand if you pay someone to do it, and then shortening the axle will be in addition to that if you do it. Unless you're pushing really big horsepower 275's are plenty of tire.

72bluNblu, thanks for the advice. I've read many posts where you have given advice on wheel and tire combos. You seem very knowledgeable on the subject especially on these cars. I'm hearing what your saying and I may have to go that way. The 275 is a little too much sidewall for me so I may end up going with a 15x8 and a little shorter tire. I can do the mini tub and spring relocation myself just have to buy the parts. But I'm afraid the rear end narrowing along with wheels and tires may blow my budget, also I still have to contend with what to do as far as getting wheels for the front to match considering the 4" bolt pattern. But are there any other wheels out there besides going with a custom built wheel that have the 7.5 backspace that you know of? Btw I do not have a bunch of horsepower I'm trying to hold down, I just really like the look of the wider tire on the rear. Thanks again.

15s just look right on our A's. Bigazz 275/60-15s just fill up those rear wheelwells real nice,and offer some bite.
AJ, I'm torn on what you said. What you said is how I've always felt about these cars until here recently. I've been researching and looking at so many pictures and combos that I'm kinda warming up to the look of the 17's on these cars, they look nice and have a whole bunch of tires to choose from. Thanks for the input. BTW, do you know of a 15x10 wheel with the 7.5 backspace other than the polished weld wheel or a custom built wheel? Thanks sir.

I put 15x7's and 255-60's on my 70. Sounds like you want a much bigger tire though..

001.jpg

Mike that looks nice, thanks for sharing. Yeah I'd like to be a little wider but you know I'm not sure which way this will go. I've got this picture in my mind of what I want it to look like but idk if it'll work just because of certain restrictions. I really like the old school look, I want chrome wheels I prefer the crager SS or a torque thrust wheel and I really like white letter tires in old cars. If I go 17" I haven't seen a white letter tire in that size. I'll probably end up doing something similar to what you've done just wanted a meat up under there, really looks good. Plus my car will sit lower than yours. Btw do you have any rubbing issues on the front opening of the quarter panel, looks close in that pic but it maybe the angle. And what size tire are you running on the front? Thanks again.

Yeah that backspace is pretty limiting, as to selections.
That's why I narrowed my rear, and just tucked the springs in about 3/4 inch. Now I can use 4.5 inch bs, and have a whole world of non-custom aftermarket wheels to choose from. The money I spent on the narrowing I saved in being able to use the wheels I already owned. Back in 99,(I don't know about today), 4.5bs was a very common bs..
I remember in about 1972, trying to put wide tires under my 1970 swinger. It was a problem then too. G's was the biggest; which translates to 8.25 tread width, which, in radial-ese might be 255s.
By moving the springs in just the 3/4 inch, that the offset kit provides, adds about 19mm, so 275's is where it's gonna top out at, using tires down to 50 series. And I think blu already mentioned that.
275s will like an 8.5inch rim for long tread-life and to run a decent pressure. 8.0 minimum.
IMO, 275s look pretty good, especially 275/60s. There are only a few manufacturers of street 275/60s out there, and the ones I tried, both got easier to spin as they age. By the second summer a sharp teener can boil them pretty good.But they continue to look good for at least two more summers,lol. I took 'em off and put them under my slanty car. With 2.45s the 225 couldn't even squawk 'em,lol. But the ol' Volare looked pretty mean

Last edited:
Yeah that backspace is pretty limiting, as to selections.
That's why I narrowed my rear, and just tucked the springs in about 3/4 inch. Now I can use 4.5 inch bs, and have a whole world of non-custom aftermarket wheels to choose from. The money I spent on the narrowing I saved in being able to use the wheels I already owned. Back in 99,(I don't know about today), 4.5bs was a very common bs..
I remember in about 1972, trying to put wide tires under my 1970 swinger. It was a problem then too. G's was the biggest; which translates to 8.25 tread width, which, in radial-ese might be 255s.
By moving the springs in just the 3/4 inch, that the offset kit provides, adds about 19mm, so 275's is where it's gonna top out at, using tires down to 50 series. And I think blu already mentioned that.
275s will like an 8.5inch rim for long tread-life and to run a decent pressure. 8.0 minimum.
IMO, 275s look pretty good, especially 275/60s. There are only a few manufacturers of street 275/60s out there, and the ones I tried, both got easier to spin as they age. By the second summer a sharp teener can boil them pretty good.But they continue to look good for at least two more summers,lol. I took 'em off and put them under my slanty car. With 2.45s the 225 couldn't even squawk 'em,lol. But the ol' Volare looked pretty mean
Thanks for the input AJ, I've had a few 225's that were like that too lol, not powerhouses but darn near bullet proof. I was gonna update this when I got home from work this evening, I talked to summit racing today at lunch and they can get the crager SS wheel made for me in nearly any backspace that I want, takes 3-4 weeks and they're approx $200 per wheel which isn't bad. I attempted to contact crager themselves and I'm still waiting for a reply, may take less time and cost less straight from them idk. I really like the SS wheels on these cars, that's what I have on it now in 14" skinny tires. Now that I've found the wheel I'll probably mini tub, relocate the springs and do like a 295/50/15, that should look pretty nice. Thank you for your thoughts and ideas, haven't ruled out anything yet. Thanks again.

Here's a place that has some small bolt wheels in wider widths. I believe the Classic V's are available in small bolt and come in chrome. ET Wheels by Team III Wheels
Mike, I looked at that site, those are good looking wheels. I didn't see any chrome in the classic v's. Thanks for the link. Also what size tire you running on the front? Thanks.

In my opinion all things considered you are shooting yourself in the foot if you don't deal with the small front brakes and hubs first.

Mike, I looked at that site, those are good looking wheels. I didn't see any chrome in the classic v's. Thanks for the link. Also what size tire you running on the front? Thanks.
I think 215 70-14's if I remember correctly. Let me check

In my opinion all things considered you are shooting yourself in the foot if you don't deal with the small front brakes and hubs first.
Very good point that I have thought about many times, do you have any suggestions? A doner car around here is out of the question. It does have disc brakes on it but they are small bolt pattern. I've read some threads on the subject but never done anything about it, now is as good a time as any I've got a few bucks to spend on the car. Thanks trailbeast. Give me some ideas of how you would approach it please.

Thank you sir.
Got sidetracked. I ordered the tires from Summit. I went to their site to look through my purchase history. Lord only knows what my password is that they gave me. Went into my e mails and looked through 5 pages of saved e mails. I stumbled across one from the USPS about a package that didn't get delivered. I opened it and had to download Office to view. Since then I have been doing virus scans because something looked fishy. LOL That's computers nowdays.

You sound like me, it's no rush, I just kinda liked your cars look and was curious. Trailbeast got on me about my brakes and small hubs lol (great advise, just messing with him a little, he's a good guy, he's helped me with stuff before) anyway I'm gonna look into that a little bit before I do anything. Does anyone just make a kit of some sort you can buy? I've not seen one but wonder if there's one out there. Thanks again guys.

Not to argue, but,As a streeter, I have never needed more brakes than what the KH 4pistons can do. Especially if you put larger tires in the rear. Then you can increase the rear brake bias.

I've never had any trouble with them either but always thought about adding the bigger brakes along with changing the bolt pattern as a bonus. I did some reading last nite and it looks like even if you find a donor car or use the 73 up stuff in pieces that you buy it puts the wheels out further on each side and I really don't want that. Idk I'm undecided on all of it st this point. I read the mustang rotor thread but that only gives you the 4.5 bc. The wheels I've narrowed down to offer the 4.0 bc so again really unsure what I'll end up doing. Thanks.

ET Wheels by Team III Wheels They are available in polished. Just click on the polished tab. You would have to contact them about the small bolt pattern. I don't see any notations.
Here's a link to Summit's site and what they have available in small bolt wheels.
https://www.summitracing.com/search...n/5-x-4-in?N=4294920860+4294950865+4294909611

ET Wheels by Team III Wheels They are available in polished. Just click on the polished tab. You would have to contact them about the small bolt pattern. I don't see any notations.
Here's a link to Summit's site and what they have available in small bolt wheels.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/wheels/department/wheels-tires/wheel-bolt-pattern/5-x-4-in?N=4294920860+4294950865+4294909611
Yessir, that's what I was looking at, I called them yesterday and they said they can get those wheels in any backspace like the possible 7.5 in the rear. But I received a reply via email from cragar and they said they can only do 6.75 backspace max. So I'm gonna hopefully have time to measure tonite after work and may end up scratching and going with a 15x8 idk.

Very good point that I have thought about many times, do you have any suggestions? A doner car around here is out of the question. It does have disc brakes on it but they are small bolt pattern. I've read some threads on the subject but never done anything about it, now is as good a time as any I've got a few bucks to spend on the car. Thanks trailbeast. Give me some ideas of how you would approach it please.

I wasn't so concerned with the size of the brakes as the size of the bolt pattern for new wheels.
Though it would be sooo tempting to get cool new wheels, it would be more important to have a more common wheel size before that I think.
It would end up costing less because of the uncommon 4.0 bolt pattern and would open up a world of wheels for it.
Also one spare would be good for the whole car instead of needing two.
There are people on here selling A arms, hubs, and such.
I would talk to Tony (whitepunkonnitro) on here and see about a big bolt pattern change, as I'd bet he has it right now.

4.5 patterns came on a bunch of different makes and are real common.

O
I wasn't so concerned with the size of the brakes as the size of the bolt pattern for new wheels.
Though it would be sooo tempting to get cool new wheels, it would be more important to have a more common wheel size before that I think.
It would end up costing less because of the uncommon 4.0 bolt pattern and would open up a world of wheels for it.
Also one spare would be good for the whole car instead of needing two.
There are people on here selling A arms, hubs, and such.
I would talk to Tony (whitepunkonnitro) on here and see about a big bolt pattern change, as I'd bet he has it right now.

4.5 patterns came on a bunch of different makes and are real common.
Oh ok I see. Yeah I was looking at the mustang rotor deal as well for the 4.5 not sure what you think of that option. I don't know if I can get the rotor cut around here. I'll check with tony and see what he has. But there are a couple of options for the 4in pattern that I really like. Coys and cragar both still offer them and I have cragars on the front already but they are the 14", you do have a point about the 2 spare thing though, sucks to carry all of that around. Thanks for the input and advice, if you have an opinion on the mustang rotor idea I'd like to hear it, good or bad. Thanks.

-
Back