Looking to purchase my first A body - is this sound concerning?

-

john_wick

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm about to purchase a 73 dart with a 340 but am concerned with this knocking/ticking sound. The seller seems to think its the cam that is ticking and nothing to worry about. I'm no mechanic and this is the only video I got with the sound. Best way I would describe it is its similar to shaking a spray can. It can be heard in the first few seconds here before I go to the exhaust. Any thoughts?

E81C0754-AC64-486F-BD6C-FF2859FFA41A.jpeg

No idea. Trying to diagnose engine sounds by "youtube" is tough at best and impossible, generally, due to other noise, and the freq response of the recording device as well as whatever we are viewing / listening on.

BUT having said that, you will gain nothing at all from the exhaust. Engine mechanical sound must be listened to at the engine. Sometimes a mechanical telegraph such as a stethoscope rigged with a solid rod to transmit sound, other times just a piece of scrap hose held to your ear.

If this has manifolds, and an intact heat riser, those things always were prone to a racket. Exhaust leaks can drive you nuts IE "sounding like other things.

-
Back