Lost Frost plugs

-

grassy

Reaction score
Well the big came to start the engine...when we added the water, it started to pour out over the floor. With a quick inspection, we seem to have lost 2 frost plugs when it was stored outside last winter.

We checked with the company that did a mechanical break in and they don't all water. Very odd.

Went to UAP to buy more and I gather they come in unique sizes so we will have to measure,

I *really* don't want to pull the engine (again) but I understand that the frost plugs can be installed with the engine in place.

Any tips and tricks ?

Thanks

Um - if the core plugs came out due to freezing - be very careful when you start it. It should not have been stored outside with coolant or water in the jackets. It may be cracked in other areas too. The purpose of those plugs is not freezing expansion relief. It's to get the sand out of the coolant jackets after casting of the block.

..there wasn't water in it...no idea of why they came out...and x3 on the starting

..didn't know the other..thanks...

It's easier on a hoist,, but, I can't remeber ever not being able to get them all, cept behind the bellhousing..

I had a frost plug install tool,, but most often ended up using a 20 inch 1/2 drive extension,, by itself, or in combo with a 1/2 impact universal, and a socket that fit in the frost plug..

The extension itself, I ground a groove across the big square end of the extension to catch the edge of the plug,, and tapped on the socket end,, I'll get a pic later and post..

Those plugs usually pop out cuz the coolant froze.. is that possible?? If so,, take note of the 2 block drain plugs, that shoulda been removed to drain the block..

Cross you fingers, and hope for no other probs,, and maybe just drain a bit of oil from the pan, after adding coolant, to see if any coolant comes out.. Not trying to be alarmist,,

As Moper mentions,, pull the plugs and spin the motor after filling with coolant, prevent hydrolok and it's probs,, and hope you don't see any water come squirting out,, if no coolant,, install plugs.

I hope you're one of the "lucky" people,,.... I wasn't,, it was terminal,, and it was my 1st hemi...

hope it helps

Yes, I am slightly freaked out about this. Pictures would be great. Have to measure the size so I can buy more.....

What Engine? 360? should be 1 5/8 or 1.625. I'd get brass ones. Can be done in the car but not fun. Clean up the bores with 80 grit sandpaper. Coat bores with RTV or Gasket sealer. Impact socket to fit in the cup and BFH.

I'll get pic now,, the cup measures 1 5/8, as would the ones that popped out ?

Attachments

• extension 012.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 388
There is no such thing as a "frost plug". The American term for this myth is "freeze plug". Engine blocks have "core plugs" which people mistake for "freeze plugs". A core plug is an artifact of the casting process used in the manufacturing of the engine block. For casting reason the block needs a couple extra holes which are then sealed with core plugs. The holes are not there to prevent freeze damage and indeed won't.

True "freeze plugs" do occasionally occur in large engines but in a typical passenger car engine they don't exist, though nearly all engines have core plugs.

Hopefully your engine is still good. I agree with the brass plugs and I just ordered a kit for my engine which had every plug I needed and some I didn't. The complete kit was under $10.00.

Edit: Looks like the price has gone up about $5.00 since I bought mine.

What Engine? 360? should be 1 5/8 or 1.625. I'd get brass ones. Can be done in the car but not fun. Clean up the bores with 80 grit sandpaper. Coat bores with RTV or Gasket sealer. Impact socket to fit in the cup and BFH.

We tried to get in to measure with a caliper and the best we could do is 1.48 ish..

Since you cannot hit directly, how do you make sure it goes in straight ?

Where are you finding freeze plug kits for $15?

I looked everywhere for months including ebay and rockauto. $22 or $18 and shipping.

I have indeed had freezing water push out a plug before as well.

If anyone has a solution for the ones behind the motor mounts, I'm all ears (ha).
I'm currently building a press that bolts to the motor mount ears, so you don't have to pull the engine.

We tried to get in to measure with a caliper and the best we could do is 1.48 ish..

Since you cannot hit directly, how do you make sure it goes in straight ?

1 5/8 for the sides.

Aha, that is the challenge.

I've been using an 18" extension that's slightly bent, right behind the male end.

Be prepared for cussing, and possibly drinking.

So best to jack the car up to it max height..

looks like I will need to go buy an extension...

Thanks

For places like behind the engine mounts where a knocker wont go, there are expanding plugs that slip fit. A boxed end wrench is used to expand them to tight.
They are more expensive than the knock in type.

Don't know if I'd trust those rubber screw to fit plugs for more than temporary use.

Did the plug behind the engine fall out? Thats right, that one could be popped out. PULL the engine!

For places like behind the engine mounts where a knocker wont go, there are expanding plugs that slip fit. A boxed end wrench is used to expand them to tight.
They are more expensive than the knock in type.

Do you have a link for one..don't think I have ever seen them...

Where are you finding freeze plug kits for $15?

I looked everywhere for months including ebay and rockauto. $22 or $18 and shipping.

I have indeed had freezing water push out a plug before as well.

If anyone has a solution for the ones behind the motor mounts, I'm all ears (ha).
I'm currently building a press that bolts to the motor mount ears, so you don't have to pull the engine.

$14.99 retail at Oreilly's for the kit. My cost is less than that.
Included is "Chrysler Brass Expansion Plug Kit, 14 Expansion Plugs, 11 Pipe Plugs"

View attachment poiuygf.jpg

This one is $13.99 but I don't have a listing of what is included.

View attachment ddftrty.jpg

Do you have a link for one..don't think I have ever seen them...

This is what they look like and I also think they should be a temporary fix. They work great until the rubber deteriorates and they start leaking which seems to happen at the worst possible time.

Attachments

• ooooiy.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 325
Here all the sizes and the Dorman part numbers for the common rubber expansion plugs.

• [FONT=&quot]Rubber Expansion Plug 1 In. - Size Range 1 In. - 1-1/8 In. Part # : 10227 [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Rubber Expansion Plug 1-1/4 In. - Size Range 1-1/4 In. - 1-3/8 In. Part # : 10229 [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Rubber Expansion Plug 1-3/8 In. - Size Range 1-3/8 In. - 1-1/2 In. Part # : 10230 [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Rubber Expansion Plug 1-1/2 In. - Size Range 1-1/2 In. - 1-5/8 In. Part # : 10231 [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Rubber Expansion Plug 1-5/8 In. - Size Range 1-5/8 In. - 1-3/4 In. Part # : 10232 [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Rubber Expansion Plug 1-3/4 In. - Size Range 1-3/4 In. - 1-7/8 In. Part # : 10233 [/FONT]

-
Back