Lost second, what’s this piece?

-

gumper

Reaction score
Lost second gear in my 727 at the last race. Luckily I still had enough of a points lead to win both non-electronics, and pro class. Unfortunately I had to borrow a car to race for the overall track championship (all class winners race off for the title plus Wally), but lost in the final due to a red light to the super pro guy. Really bummed over that since my car, and myself were killing it up to the point of breakage. Anyways...

I pulled my trans pan to see if it’s something I could fix easy enough in order to still race in Vegas over Thanksgiving. The piece pictured is what was rolling around in the pan. What is/was it? Something that I can fix from under the car, or does the whole trans have to come out? This is only the second season on this transmission which makes me kind of pissy considering what I paid for it.
226F9FDA-1930-4A15-A027-22C822817252.jpeg

Take a couple photos of the underside of trans, it almos looks like the pin that pushes lever for rear band. If it fell out, than lever may be cracked.

Looks like part of the kick-down valve.

fullsizeoutput_c6.jpeg
Drop the valve body and it can go back in but the valve body fix may not give you second all the way back if the band or clutch retainer is damaged. In this shot, it is in the top right, 5th column over from right side.

Last edited:
A22484D7-69B9-4E7D-88A7-F9DC584572C1.jpeg
Pulled the VB out, and found where the piece is supposed to live. I’m stumped as to where the other pieces that should have been in the pan are. No spring, or any kind of retaining pieces.

It’s a Coan pro tree VB, and the passageway is larger than factory. I pulled the VB out of one of my other 727s, and it’s not the same.

-
Back