lost vehicle title

-

paulh70

Reaction score
So, I bought my barracuda in carlisle in 1992 took it home registered and titled it in my name in new york state a couple of years later i moved to virginia the car broke down i parked it in the garage and it sat there till now. Well in new york your registration is your title for cars produced before 1973, I lost the registration over the years, never had it titled anywhere else. the state of new york has purged there records and has no record of the car. Any one have any ideas on how to get a title for my car. by the way the auction company doesn't have any records that go back that far either

see if you can get a "mechanic's lien" on the car. Might want to call DMV and found out if Va does that, but it's basically used when cars that had work done on them and customer didn't pay and left car instead. You take position of the car and are the new owner in lieu of the dept owed. Think that is how it works...

I checked into a mechanics lien and you have to have a business license to do it. I'll give broadway title a shot thanks

Broadway title is probably your best bet. If you know someone who owns a shop, you might be able to talk them into a mechanic's lien. If you do that, it usually takes at least 90 days before the shop gets the title. I've been there, and done that in Texas.

I checked into a mechanics lien and you have to have a business license to do it. I'll give broadway title a shot thanks

let me know how you make out with broadway title i am current looking at a car and was going to use it as a parts car but i may just try to get a title and restore it

I had success with Broadway title about 6 six years ago......on a Cheby I bought that I flipped to buy my Duster.

not true, NY recently issued a transferable registration for a 1962 Chrysler that had been sitting for 30+ years, the DMV was able to verify the the owner and issue them a replacement registration even though the old one was lost and it had not been registered since the 1980's
the owner first had to re-register and insure the car, they were issued a non transferable reg, they then applied for a transferable reg which took a couple months to get, they then sent the transferable reg and that was used to get a PA title

I really don't understand this thread. If the OP was the last registered owner and simply lost the title the DMV should be able to take care of him.

I really don't understand this thread. If the OP was the last registered owner and simply lost the title the DMV should be able to take care of him.

this is true, the DMV only purges the records from the computer
all the actual records remain on microfilm, that is why it takes a while for them to renew your reg, they have to do it all by hand and create a new record on the computer

this is true, the DMV only purges the records from the computer
all the actual records remain on microfilm, that is why it takes a while for them to renew your reg, they have to do it all by hand and create a new record on the computer

I had contacted the dmv in new york in 2008 and they sent me a letter saying that they had no record of the car. Then i contacted them again a few days ago and they told me i could apply for a non transfersble registration and if that was granted then i could take that to virginia dmv and use that as proof of ownership for a virginia title. I think the person i spoke to back in 2008 didn't know what they were doing

-
Back