Low Ballers

-

DartGT360

Reaction score
I was hoping I could get some advise from the members about car prices. First I appreciate what I am asking is without the benefit of actually seeing the car, but here goes.

I have a non numbers matching 1969 Dart GT convertible with 53000 original southern miles.I converted the front from SBP to BBP and disc brakes. I did an engine swap for a 1982 318, 2bbl and 904 transmission with about the same mileage. Car was originally a 6 cylinder, column shift, bench seat car. It is now a console shift (correct console) with bucket seats ( correct 69 seats). Most of the GT trim is missing (holes in trunk and doors were patched by previous owner.)

The car has a new Legendary interior, new white convertible top and deck liner, new B5 blue paint (not a great job), new brakes and lines, new tires and rims (police wheel and steel 15" BBP rims), completely rust free and detailed underneath.

So here is the thing, I am told by the "buyers" the car is worth $13-$14K Canadian Dollars.($9-$10 USD.) Does this seem right to you? I have $18,000 CDN ($13 USD) in the car. I always thought drop tops in great rust free shape were desirable cars. Thanks for your opinions.

Here's my take:

the 53 k original miles is a positive for the body, but is negated for the engine since it's been swapped...

I would prefer a 68-71 318 in that year of car vs a later smog 82 318... But can easily be upgraded to a 340 or 360 by the next owner...

But it is a solid body convertible which is desireable, and I love B5 blue...

If you didn't convert the rear to large bolt pattern, then it will need 2 spare tires in case of a flat, I would prefer either all small bolt pattern with KH discs, or large bolt pattern all the way around...

the console addition is also a positive, depending on how well the floorboard modifications were done...

It's great that the underneath is rust free and detailed, but the outside body paint should be as good or better than the underneath for maximum value. However it can be painted, but that will be a cost...

I don't keep track of the pricing for all the cars, and without seeing it, it would be hard to give an estimate, but those are the things that I look for in a car like that...

desirable? yes. but putting actual $$ on a car is different thing. Guy on this site had to sell a really nice ragtop to help medical bills for less than 9K-- I wished I would have had the funds.

post up some pics here, this site is a great reference but that is a reference not gospel.

location plays a huge part-- options another-- your car is not original --so it is custom
that is a whole new ball of wax--
no matter what is for sale the seller has to deal with the offers-- you know your too low if the 1st guy takes it no questions asked.

That is part of buying & selling --unless you have an original numbers matching big block or 340 car-- then the market is soft .

So ask yourself-- how bad do you want to sell & be realistic in your price-- check ebay-- & compare the same options do not compare your ride to a 340 car.
Also post up a detailed description & photo shoot, no reason for crappy selling ads in this day & age-- your just asking for low ballers if your too lazy to put up a decent sale ad.
Good luck, Lawrence

As others have said, it's tough to estimate, especially without several pictures. -- It's also tough to get your money back, unless it's a very nice and/or a rare car. -- At least, that's My experience.

To go along with location, another detriment could be timing. Basement price in the north on a convertible is in the winter, as people need to deal with storage. Buy in the fall/winter - sell in the spring/summer.

I was hoping I could get some advise from the members about car prices. First I appreciate what I am asking is without the benefit of actually seeing the car, but here goes.

I have a non numbers matching 1969 Dart GT convertible with 53000 original southern miles.I converted the front from SBP to BBP and disc brakes. I did an engine swap for a 1982 318, 2bbl and 904 transmission with about the same mileage. Car was originally a 6 cylinder, column shift, bench seat car. It is now a console shift (correct console) with bucket seats ( correct 69 seats). Most of the GT trim is missing (holes in trunk and doors were patched by previous owner.)

The car has a new Legendary interior, new white convertible top and deck liner, new B5 blue paint (not a great job), new brakes and lines, new tires and rims (police wheel and steel 15" BBP rims), completely rust free and detailed underneath.

So here is the thing, I am told by the "buyers" the car is worth $13-$14K Canadian Dollars.($9-$10 USD.) Does this seem right to you? I have $18,000 CDN ($13 USD) in the car. I always thought drop tops in great rust free shape were desirable cars. Thanks for your opinions.

I'll try not to be obnoxious about it, but it's tough sight unseen.
9-10k sounds right if it is rust free and in good shape. but the missing Trim parts and paint might hurt it a bit.

Nada Values
Original Base Price $2,865MSRP for convertible GT /6
--------------------- -----Low Average High
------- ---------- ------$4,575-- $10,800 $15,800
Options: 6 Cylinder Engine -10% -10% -10%
TOTAL PRICE: ------------$4,118 $9,720 $14,220

(1) you have a 69 (convertible++)6 cylinder (-), column shift(-), bench seat car(-)
with incorrect interior engine and brakes. those upgrades are freebies you just gave to the buyer. someone might not care about it not being original and really pay you for the upgrades. but only partially and less than 50% usually.
(2) it isn't rare.
(3) you didn't say if you have the original stuff to put back on (- if not) (+ if you do) Some people want an original car even if it is a /6 and finding trim to replace the missing pieces are going to be a bear.
(4) you have a custom car (-) AND it'll probably need a repaint going by your comments.
(5) you will "almost NEVER" recoup you money spent upgrading it to your satisfaction.

(6) this is just my opinion others may(will) vary.

Even at $13/14K it can be hard to find a buyer up in Canada. Now with oil in the shitter it's only gonna get harder.

Here's my take on it. Any modifications that you made were for your taste and not necessarily someone else's. For someone to take this car, they would have to finish the conversion from SBP to BBP. Then there's body and paint and that's another expense for the buyer, and should they want to replace the trim, well there's more money. I don't know where in Canada, you are but I think $13-$14k is generous. If you built it thinking you would get your money back, I think you will be disappointed. Just My Opinion.

Price is always subjective on large purchases which a vehicle definitely is. What's amazing is what folks will drop on a new vehicle because financing is so readily avalable compared to a classic. Most potential buyers of a classic car don't realize they have financing options also which creates a lot of tire kickers

Have had success myself offering a fair price and educating potential buyers to options available for a classic purchase besides cash.

Oldschoolcuda

Hi,
I sold my 69 Dart GT convertible all original B7 exterior , B5 Interior, white top, bench seat 318 auto matching numbers. The body was ok, old paint and some small rust issues, trunk extension etc. Sold here in Winnipeg 3 years back $11,500 with the dollar at par, I was happy!
That car of yours I would say $6-8K maybe $10? In the end its only worth what someone will pay. Through it out there see what fishy bites. Nice car though....where are you located? I am building another 69 Dart Convert. 440-4 speed...having some fun this time :)

What it all boils down to is 2 things you never get you total investment back [some times you loose money] the other is it's worth what someone is willing to pay that's it. It may be a nice car but that's what your facing good luck to you on your sale sir.

Price is always subjective on large purchases which a vehicle definitely is. What's amazing is what folks will drop on a new vehicle because financing is so readily avalable compared to a classic. Most potential buyers of a classic car don't realize they have financing options also which creates a lot of tire kickers

Have had success myself offering a fair price and educating potential buyers to options available for a classic purchase besides cash.

Oldschoolcuda

This. There is financing. Most people either don't know it's there, or they looked at it and get a crappy rate and don't have the ability to finance for 36 months or less. Most folks will then decide to buy new, finance for 72 months and not buy the classic. Everything else here is true as well.

Based on prices I see on here and elsewhere I think my cars are worth a fortune! Lol a car remains what it is worth to the guy or gal who will buy it. Without seeing it $8,500-9000 American.

Your title indicates to me that you're basing the value of the car on the amount you have into it, and thereby see any offer under that as a "lowball offer"! IMO, you have to sell it for what it is, a slant 6 car that has been changed! I agree with the above that a 340 car will command a much higher price, and IMO a fine example of such would be around $23k! Yours being a slant car with an incorrect interior and missing trim would be about 1/2 that in the same condition!

in my opinion its a bit overpriced for a 318 car. just my 2 cents, i paid 7500 for a 340 car in pieces though

And it is real hard to pop the over $10K cherry. Gotta be rare and or desirable and or perfect. I have another theory about the magic $10k number but it involves "them" and I'm not into spewing conspiracy theories today. Spared!!!!

Nada Classic Values are no where close to real world. 1967 Dodge GT 318 going to $24K and even my recent 1973 Dodge Dart Sport 340 $20K but that was for a rust free CA bought in the rust-belt.

This. There is financing. Most people either don't know it's there, or they looked at it and get a crappy rate and don't have the ability to finance for 36 months or less. Most folks will then decide to buy new, finance for 72 months and not buy the classic. Everything else here is true as well.

Based on prices I see on here and elsewhere I think my cars are worth a fortune! Lol a car remains what it is worth to the guy or gal who will buy it. Without seeing it $8,500-9000 American.

I took out a loan for $10K on my 401K real low interest rate. $160 a month for 4 years and about $800.00 in interest over the course of the 4 years. No questions asked and they don't care what you use it for. It's much harder to get a car loan for a classic.

if it were my money, I do not think I would care to pay more then 5000 USD for this car

as mentioned before, many of the "upgrades" you have made are to your own taste, and not always to everyone elses

It's worth what someone will pay. Put it on Ebay and find out.

-
Back