Low Band Apply Question

-
Please explain how u would do your burn out with a factory stock valve body and why. Kim

I guess I should clarify a little. If you have a stone stock Mopar then you don't need to worry about any of this. Torqueflites were made to handle less than 400hp motors and when you stray from stock thats when you run into problems. Higher HP car have the ability to break the over running clutch. Most people put shift kits in their transmissions which enable you to "hold" a gear when they up the HP of their car.

As u say a shift kit may help it to hold the gear longer, but as a rule ur vb is still fully automatic. So in reality a shift kit does nothing to save the sprag/ over running clutch. U have still not explained why any other gear than manual low is an option. Kim

As u say a shift kit may help it to hold the gear longer, but as a rule ur vb is still fully automatic. So in reality a shift kit does nothing to save the sprag/ over running clutch. U have still not explained why any other gear than manual low is an option. Kim

As I said a shift kit has the ability to hold the gear. High gear is the only option that protects the overrunning clutch. I don't know how to explain it to you, you just don't seem to understand.

Then when everything comes to a stop while spinning in high gear dies it not sift to first as the tires grab traction? Kim

Last edited:
As I said a shift kit has the ability to hold the gear. High gear is the only option that protects the overrunning clutch. I don't know how to explain it to you, you just don't seem to understand.
That is incorrect. A fully automatic in manual low gear applies the low/reverse band and this band take the load instead of the sprag
Protecting it. That is why many valve bodies are low band apply.
An aftermarket sprag is not a total guarantee of protection, but it helps.
A shift kit does not necessarily apply the low band in first gear.
Even many transbrakes do not apply the low/reverse band in first gear, many only apply it when the transbrake is activated.

I think you are referring to a manual shift valve body which is not necessarily a shift kit.

Ok I give. Good night and good luck.

after ALL THIS, I`m still not sure about what to do with a fully auto. that "does" have low band apply . The only two runs I made on a slick track, I put it in drive and did the burn outs, it was in drive , tires lit up when I let out of it. Never hooked up anywhere.

after ALL THIS, I`m still not sure about what to do with a fully auto. that "does" have low band apply . The only two runs I made on a slick track, I put it in drive and did the burn outs, it was in drive , tires lit up when I let out of it. Never hooked up anywhere.
What kind of car is this. Can you put in a manual shift valve body?

A "full auto" valve body will not, does not have a "low band apply" like a full manual can. When a "full auto" or stock valve body is in selected low/1st gear(shifter in first gear NOT in drive) then, the low band is applied. When a "full auto" or stock valve body is selected drive(shifter placed in drive or 3rd) then, the first gear will be against the low roller/sprag. Seems there's a lot of wires getting crossed in this post.

\
All this is was supposed to be about how to do burn outs in the full auto. , that has low band apply -------------
A bone stock auto does not have low band apply unless you put the shifter in the low 1 position. Then the band is on. In the drive position the band is not on.
If that is what you have then I would always make sure your low/reverse band is correctly adjusted and only do a burnout in manual low 1. I would not shift out of that gear until the wheels have come to a complete stop. Then shift to drive and make your run. But that is still not 100% safe because during your 1st gear take off your tires could slip and regrip which shocks the sprag.
You really should get a manual shift valve body with low band apply.
This would have the band on any time the shifter is in first gear and it would stay on until you pulled 2nd at which time you are off the sprag. IMHO.

A bone stock auto does not have low band apply unless you put the shifter in the low 1 position. Then the band is on. In the drive position the band is not on.
If that is what you have then I would always make sure your low/reverse band is correctly adjusted and only do a burnout in manual low 1. I would not shift out of that gear until the wheels have come to a complete stop. Then shift to drive and make your run. But that is still not 100% safe because during your 1st gear take off your tires could slip and regrip which shocks the sprag.
This would have the band on any time the shifter is in first gear and it would stay on until you pulled 2nd at which time you are off the sprag. IMHO.
My ex partner has been building 727 and 904`s for 50ish yrs. , he built the "low band apply" fully auto. that is currently in my 505" 68 fastback. If I get on it burnout or not, the tires will not get any bite in low gear anyway, mostly second either, but will grab and hook up when it shifts to drive. I cant remember how he said to do burnouts ------going to have to call him.

My ex partner has been building 727 and 904`s for 50ish yrs. , he built the "low band apply" fully auto. that is currently in my 505" 68 fastback. If I get on it burnout or not, the tires will not get any bite in low gear anyway, mostly second either, but will grab and hook up when it shifts to drive. I cant remember how he said to do burnouts ------going to have to call him.
If he built the valve body then he would be the one to ask.

I guess I should clarify a little. If you have a stone stock Mopar then you don't need to worry about any of this. Torqueflites were made to handle less than 400hp motors and when you stray from stock thats when you run into problems. Higher HP car have the ability to break the over running clutch. Most people put shift kits in their transmissions which enable you to "hold" a gear when they up the HP of their car.
I have a good question, what happens in a fairly powerful mopar when your 1st gear (Manuel 1st valve body) burn out is really quick (street car, on street tires) and you need to shift into 2nd all the while tons of wheel spin all threw 2nd gear then going into 3rd I let off...very long black marks, my bigblock Dart was that way... 550hp according to what it felt like and it was a power house for sure a 426 wedge well built... but it did have a bolt in sprag.. no hooking anything with that car but was my Sprag in any danger?

If your valve body does not leave the low band on right up until you pull second gear, then yes you’re hurting the sprag. You need to know exactly what kind of valve body you have and how it works imho.

-
Back