Lower Control Arm Stiffening Plates

-
Unless you beat yours around the race track or jump it on the street, you will be fine without them.

To tie the 2 halves of the lower arm together can only help its strength, especially where a stabilizer bar is applying force to only one half or side.
I'm doing about the same thing with 3 small pieces of flat bar across the bottom. Not as pretty. Either might collect gravel though. The only factor is not to interfere with the torsion bar adjust bolt.

They came on the lower control arms I bought for my 71 Dart. To me it doesnt make a difference in either normal street use or a little more aggressive driving. I think no one thing makes that big a difference for these old A bodies. It takes a lot of updating and add ons to make them handle even a little bit better.

Make sure to take a look at the eBay listed shipping charges, then compare to their standard pricing to make sure you're getting at the best possible price.

Thanks...I had wondered since I have never read anything about them before on this board.

Shipping costs one-bay are just out to lunch or out of control.....especially PST..no way products cost that much to ship..which means..folks/companies are making money on shipping s well. I ship at owners cost not bury a profit in it..

Quite frankly, when you see shipping costs that are high..you know that you are getting it up teh....

Grassy

I think they would do a little bit of difference...Not seat of the pants, but any reinforcement will help...I did my lower control arms...

downsized_1211091142.jpg

67gtx Are those painted or powder coated? They sure look nice.

When I had an a-body circle track car, I had problems with the lower control arms bending (rough tracks), when the control arm would bend the two halves would separate. So I took a plate, cut a hole so I could adjust the t-bar welded it on, and problem solved.

So they are definetely not snake oil, but I would build my own.

I did mine too. Figured it couldn't hurt and it cost $20, so what the hell. Haven't gotten the car back together yet, and I completely rebuilt the front end, so I can't tell you if it made a difference or not.

I`ve got them on my Barracuda. For the money, why not? I concur with 1968FormulaS340, I don`t see a downside to installing them.

Downside.

If you tag a curb or something, instead of a bent control arm, the now stiffer control arm transfer more load to the K frame/frame rails and that gets messed up.

I like the idea on something that's a corner carver. I personally don't put them on drag cars because they sometimes meet the wall.

Im going to order a set. If anyone has ever tried to get a quote from firmfeel on these plates,they will know that this is a deal. Course the auction aint over yet.

They came on the lower control arms I bought for my 71 Dart. To me it doesnt make a difference in either normal street use or a little more aggressive driving. I think no one thing makes that big a difference for these old A bodies. It takes a lot of updating and add ons to make them handle even a little bit better.

I disagree. A simple rebuild and alignment will help a ton. As will KYB shocks. If I had enough money for only 1 or 2 upgrades,they would be swaybars and KYB shocks. You will be amazed at the difference these 2 items will make.The stiffening plates are a cheap peace of mind upgrade.The lower control arm can take a real pounding sometimes.

Downside.

If you tag a curb or something, instead of a bent control arm, the now stiffer control arm transfer more load to the K frame/frame rails and that gets messed up.

I like the idea on something that's a corner carver. I personally don't put them on drag cars because they sometimes meet the wall.

If you crash hard enough to bend the lower control arms, having reinforcement plates will be the least of your worries.

I understand your argument. I just don't think it is a very good one.

If you crash hard enough to bend the lower control arms, having reinforcement plates will be the least of your worries.

I understand your argument. I just don't think it is a very good one.

It's reality.

I've hit a pothole that bent an upper and lower control arm.

Someone mentioned a downside and you got one. Whether you think it's valid or not, IDGAS.

They sure couldn't hurt. Just add them to the list of things to do when you rebuild your front end.

They are not very hard to make.

I think i only have 5 bucks in total making my own .... other then my own time.

A good steady hand with a torch or plasma cutter can make short work of them. Or some grinding with your angle grinder.

They are not very hard to make.

I think i only have 5 bucks in total making my own .... other then my own time.

A good steady hand with a torch or plasma cutter can make short work of them. Or some grinding with your angle grinder.

yep or a Greenlee pucnch/holesaw, jig saw.

-
Back