Lug nut /stud length

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have Yukon axles in my rear with 1 inch long (threaded portion) studs. With Mopar cop wheels I end up with 1/2 inch of thread to use. My lug nuts are .900 long so I end up with the stud only engaging half the nut.

I know that is enough engagement to be safe but I don't like it. It just looks half a$$ed.

Does anyone happen to know definitively what the knurl dimensions are on the Yukon axles so I can order up some longer studs?

Thanks

-wasn't sure if this was a suspension or wheels and tires topic......

The studs will have a number on the head. Enter that number in to google and it will give you the info you seek. Or go to napa and they have a book that they can look the numbers up and tell you what it is. Been there done this one.

I know that is enough engagement to be safe but I don't like it. It just looks half a$$ed.

IMO, they are too short. I try to use 1.5 X bolt diameter engagement. 1 X bolt diameter would be absolute minimum depending on chamfer depth.

If no mark you'll need to press one out and measure to be sure of knurl size I expect.

Mil spec for nuts is 1 1/2 diameter of the stud. so 1/2 dia sticking out.

Thanks all.

Mil-spec is best and b/c I am buying new studs I Will actually go 2.25 to 2.5 the stud dia b/c the nuts are 1 inch long and I want a minimum of 1/4 inch of stud extension beyond the top of the nut.

I only meant that 1x the diameter, which I have now, is considered the minimum safe engagement. But it ain't staying that way............

Nut length has a determining factor there, but I know completely what you are saying.
Thanks
CE

ValiantOne, would you mind posting the part number of the new studs you get, I'm in the same boat wanting to get new studs for my Yukon axels.

Thanks

Okay, so Yukon gave me a .662 dia spec for the knurl, at 33/64's long (weird length)

Problem is I can find narry a stud at Summit or JEGS with that dia.

The confusing part is that they do list some Mopar studs at .622 dia. ??? Could Yukon have misprinted their own spec?

Maybe I should start a new thread on Yukon wheel studs as I can't be the first one to encounter this. Someone must have worked out a fix by now?

Anyone??

Thanks.

CE

Thanks, with that stud info I'll contact Napa as I'm going there this afternoon for an exhaust gasket.

Just got back from NAPA. I looked through their catalog under 1/2x20 lugs and didn't find a single .662 knurl lug.

Going to pull one of my existing studs out and confirm the size.

Yes that is what I found out as well, although the kid had real problem looking stuff up. But they did have my exhaust gasket...

Not the best parts guy in the world!

Come on people if it sticks out you are good! Drama, drama, opinions.

Well it ain't sticking out. And if I went 1.5 times the stud dia it still wouldn't be sticking out, so it actually matters. I told you I knew what you were saying though so no, no drama

I tried pressing a lug out via a large clamp with the axle in place. Uh, no go. Out comes the axle once more. I still can't believe no one has solved this one before. Hopefully he'll see this thread!

CE

Check out Dorman wheel studs - Both of these could be wire wheeled on the knurl just a tad to fit....

Part #610-287 - .667" knurl - 1 29/32" length

Part #610-174 - .668" knurl - 1 3/4" length

the moroso 46190 stud is for most mopar rear and for a .676"-.683" hole. and 1/2" of engagement for a 1/2" stud is right at the minimum, good for a small tire, a big tire and I would want more. halifax is off, sticks out beyond the wheel 1/2" is good? what if it sticks out 1/4"?

Check out Dorman wheel studs - Both of these could be wire wheeled on the knurl just a tad to fit....

Part #610-287 - .667" knurl - 1 29/32" length

Part #610-174 - .668" knurl - 1 3/4" length

I'm hoping I don't have to try this but these part #s are as close as I have come too. I do wonder if the root dia of the knurl would have too much interference. May end up finding out!

Thank you!

CE

I'm hoping I don't have to try this but these part #s are as close as I have come too. I do wonder if the root dia of the knurl would have too much interference. May end up finding out!

Thank you!

CE

Are you talking about the shoulder length??

610-287 - 25/32"

610-174 - 9/16"

Are you talking about the shoulder length??

610-287 - 25/32"

610-174 - 9/16"

No, I meant the root diameter of the knurl. Just like threads there is a root diameter (minor diameter) and a crest diameter (major diameter). The knurl also has a crest (high point, which as you pointed out can be knocked down a bit via wire wheel or a little sanding) and a root (low point) In this case if the root diameter is too large there will be too much interference between the stud and the axle. If it is a small enough difference, no biggie. If there is too much difference you will displace metal as you press the stud in and it will build up on the shoulder of the stud and you will never get the stud fully seated. And if you already understood all that I apologize! :)

As for shoulder length, the Yukon spec was 33/64 (works out to .515) which is closest to the 9/16 you listed (at .562) which would probably work with the wheel I am using without a problem.

It is just doesn't stand to reason that Yukon would use such a bastard size. Weird. And with all the racers running those axles you'd expect they would make a long version that would pass tech at the track. The tech support guy at Yukon told me they have no such offering.

Thanks again BTW!

CE

-
Back