M code barracuda

-
I run the 440 M code Cuda Registry, Formally Tom Wenstadt then to Dave Goodwin and now to me.
The supposedly last M code 440 Cuda is the 357. So roughly 299 fastback and 58 notchback from research. From what I have here and would say the first batch close to 30 were Notcbacks built by the numbers. (I am sure there was a fastback or two built first as the registry starts out with the 4th car built). As we all know the first was a fastback prototype. The next batch after the Notchbacks were fastbacks, I can’t put a number on how many. Then it was a mix but from the numbers mostly fastbacks. Ordered Build dates were December 1st 1968, roughly 210 built, March 2nd 1969 roughly 120 built and May 18 1969 roughly 27 built, These numbers are just estimated from what information I have here in the registry). All M codes were automatics but supposedly a few had dealer installed four speeds but there is NO documentation of that.
davescuda.... i'm wondering if i could add my M-Code fastback to the Registry? please tell me how to do that and what documentation you need. i can send you pics of the dash VIN tag and the body numbers on the radiator support and rear trunk lip.
Thanks... Jim Coster, Pittsburgh, PA

delivery at home1.jpg

i38948.jpg

That's A BAD MOPAR! Looks Awesome!
i always wanted a M-Code Cuda and finally found one several years ago. it was a cut up 426 Hemi drag car in Boston ten years ago then it went to Bartlesville, Oklahoma to a mopar racing guy who put a 440 in it. i was able to buy it from him as a roller with no racing parts. i then had the body sent to American Medal Direct (AMD) down in Georgia to have it put back to OEM stock. to do this, i bought a body shell from Arizona which was a beautiful NO RUST car and sent that to AMD. they then cut the entire floor pan with all accessory attachment metal from the donor car and welded it in the M-Code car. i now have a completely stock, OEM correct, perfect, no rust or bondo Cuda. i found a date correct 440 block which is being built presently with aluminum heads and other parts. i'm putting 6 bbl carbs on it and then a lift-off hood like that A12 69 Road Runner. i also had AMD install a 4 sp hump so i will have the only 69 M-Code Cuda (that i know of) that has a 440 6bbl with a 4 speed. it should be a very fun car to drive!

The restoration of this one is almost complete
I would like to see pics of it now. Those pictures were from when I bought it from an auction around 13 years ago I think. Wish I had been able to get all the rest of the parts from that auction but they were already sold before the car went up for sale.

i always wanted a M-Code Cuda and finally found one several years ago. it was a cut up 426 Hemi drag car in Boston ten years ago then it went to Bartlesville, Oklahoma to a mopar racing guy who put a 440 in it. i was able to buy it from him as a roller with no racing parts. i then had the body sent to American Medal Direct (AMD) down in Georgia to have it put back to OEM stock. to do this, i bought a body shell from Arizona which was a beautiful NO RUST car and sent that to AMD. they then cut the entire floor pan with all accessory attachment metal from the donor car and welded it in the M-Code car. i now have a completely stock, OEM correct, perfect, no rust or bondo Cuda. i found a date correct 440 block which is being built presently with aluminum heads and other parts. i'm putting 6 bbl carbs on it and then a lift-off hood like that A12 69 Road Runner. i also had AMD install a 4 sp hump so i will have the only 69 M-Code Cuda (that i know of) that has a 440 6bbl with a 4 speed. it should be a very fun car to drive!
BRUTALLY FUN! I may seem to remember reading about the bodywork part of that on here. Much Congrats on the Progress, but even MORE ON THE VISION!!!!!!! That will be Piles of Smiles, for Many Miles!

sadly, the autonews website won't let you read this article unless you buy a subscription. that publication has a lot of good car news but i already have too many "on-line" subscriptions. maybe you could summarize what the article says?
I couldn't read it either. But you can just see the dates it passed and went into effect. The law requiring it is US Code 571.202. Here's the 1971 version of it, which is probably very similar if not identical to the 1969 law. It's quite technical. It begins right at the end of page 1, and goes through most of the second column in page 2.

*Edit* I see it didn't come through at full resolution. If you really want to read it, you can download the pdf here: https://www.federalregister.gov/citation/36-FR-22902

571.202 1971_01.jpg

571.202 1971_02.jpg

I couldn't read it either. But you can just see the dates it passed and went into effect. The law requiring it is US Code 571.202. Here's the 1971 version of it, which is probably very similar if not identical to the 1969 law. It's quite technical. It begins right at the end of page 1, and goes through most of the second column in page 2.

*Edit* I see it didn't come through at full resolution. If you really want to read it, you can download the pdf here: https://www.federalregister.gov/citation/36-FR-22902

View attachment 1716066656

View attachment 1716066657
LOL! thank you for posting those Regulations!! i've been retired from my law practice for a number years but i always enjoy reading regulations written so no one can understand... thanks... :0)

View attachment 1716066656

View attachment 1716066657

i downloaded the Federal Registry you cited which is from 1971 and is 152 pages!! i read the section on headrests - also called "head restraints." it is very interesting stuff from a "lawyer" perspective. thanks again for this information.

-
Back