M code Cooling system questions

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Whats the best combo of parts to use to copy the cooling system used in a 1969 M code 440 car automatic car

Best rad
Best fan shroud
Best fan

Also where would be the best place to find these items

Thanks everyone

Bob from Glen Ray Radiators for numbers matching radiator: 2949065.

This the fan shroud from Classic Industries:
Product ID​
Description​
MA222768-69 A-BODY V8 FAN SHROUD-AC

Last edited:
I went with the stock 22” 3 row radiator and a fan shroud from a A-body with a/c. Use the stock pulleys too. My M-code car would run at about 185 in any weather condition.

I know the outlet is larger 1-3/4 dia for the BB vs 1-1/2 for the SB, does anyone know if from factory it was 2 or 3 core?

I know the outlet is larger 1-3/4 dia for the BB vs 1-1/2 for the SB, does anyone know if from factory it was 2 or 3 core?
I think that you’re right about the neck size. I seem to remember that I used the top tank from a 383 B-body when I had my radiator built.

Bob from Glen Ray Radiators for numbers matching radiator: 2949065.

This the fan shroud from Classic Industries:
Product ID​
Description​
MA222768-69 A-BODY V8 FAN SHROUD-AC
I’m pretty sure that Glen Ray has never made an 065 rad. 1968 033, yes. My back up 065 is a Glen Ray new in box that I was told was made from an NOS top tank.

How about that, (for all the naysayer out there) the factory cooled a 440 with a 22" 3 core radiator, a mechanical fan, 190 deg thermostat (160 is NOT recommended).

(sarcasm to follow!)

How can that be???? Only an aluminum radiator with electric fans and 2 x 1 inch cores could possibly do the job!:rolleyes:

1681573834376.png

How about that, (for all the naysayer out there) the factory cooled a 440 with a 22" 3 core radiator, a mechanical fan, 190 deg thermostat (160 is NOT recommended).

(sarcasm to follow!)

How can that be???? Only an aluminum radiator with electric fans and 2 x 1 inch cores could possibly do the job!:rolleyes:

View attachment 1716078104

The same radiator was used for the 426 Hemi. I ran my mild 383 as a daily driver for years with no cooling issues.

Kind of odd to me. But even some b body big block cars had 22 inch radiators. And some small block b body cars had the 26. Whether the car had AC or not seems to be more of the deciding factor than engine size.
I looked at Glen Rays website and did not see the big block a body radiators listed. But I would imagine it's spendy. But you would never have to buy another.
I called a few years ago about re coring a radiator for big block use. They maybe Bob said cooling built big block with 3 row radiator was non issue.

Kind of odd to me. But even some b body big block cars had 22 inch radiators. And some small block b body cars had the 26. Whether the car had AC or not seems to be more of the deciding factor than engine size.
I looked at Glen Rays website and did not see the big block a body radiators listed. But I would imagine it's spendy. But you would never have to buy another.
I called a few years ago about re coring a radiator for big block use. They maybe Bob said cooling built big block with 3 row radiator was non issue.

Oh they are spendy, I had to replace mine after some creep ripped mine off for scrap copper. Found a core here and had it recored, all good now But that is what I had, and mine is an original big block car, so you pay your money. Not a fan of aluminum radiators, mainly for looks.

-
Back