-
Status
Not open for further replies.

edd440se

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
1969 M-Code Dart, or Barracuda 440 bare block. casting#2536430-10, casting date 8-9-68. It has the 2 mount bosses on the front driver-side. Originally out of a 69 GTX. The top pad is stamped E440, 8 24 HP. There is also another stamping on the pad N4171. not sure what this is but it is clearly NOT FACTORY, may be an earlier machinists stamp, it was on there when I bought it. The holes are .040 overbore. Just had the machine shop clean and test it. It is free of any cracks and ready for assembly.Pick it up or I can ship it on pallet from loading dock, Palmer, MA. Asking $1500.00 or best offer. Questions please. Ed (413) 626-3708

Attachments

• IMG_1110.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 691
What's the VIN on your block? Pass side, right above oil pan rain about 1/2 way back.

Thanks

Bumpsteer is where you stare alot when you see her bump...Bump stare....

you can see from the front picture it was not originally put in a dart or cuda as A body had the 2 oil pump bosses drilled and tapped for a factory installed engine bracket.

I've never seen a block like this in a M-code car. The only blocks that I have seen like this were in late model C-Bodies in fact I have one out in the garage but I don't remember what year it's from. My car has the original motor mount that required me to drill and tap the two oil pump bosses. The real answer to this might be the vin number but if it's only partialy stamped stamped it could be from a 6 pack car.

you can see from the front picture it was not originally put in a dart or cuda as A body had the 2 oil pump bosses drilled and tapped for a factory installed engine bracket.
The bosses are there, you can see them in the pic. they are drilled and tapped. This IS the CORRECT block for the M-code Dart, or Barracuda. It will bolt right in!!

I've never seen a block like this in a M-code car. The only blocks that I have seen like this were in late model C-Bodies in fact I have one out in the garage but I don't remember what year it's from. My car has the original motor mount that required me to drill and tap the two oil pump bosses. The real answer to this might be the vin number but if it's only partialy stamped stamped it could be from a 6 pack car.
This block, is an early casting for the 69 model year #2536430-10, casting date 8-9-68. The 2 bosses in front near the oil pump area are drilled and tapped from the factory to accept the M-code mount. The factory cast more of these early blocks than were actually used in the 440 A-bodies, the leftover units I would assume, went into other cars. In Plymouth's case, which is where this one was cast would have been the GTX. which is what this one was originally installed in, casting, and assembly date is way to early for the 69-1/2 A12 six-bbl cars. vin# on the side pad is RS23L9G162589. This engine was originally painted turquoise.

Casting date is 8-9-68, WAY to early for the A12 cars.

those drilled and tapped bosses are where a 383 engine bracket would bolt not a a FACTORY 440 engine bracket,there is a difference,you can use a 383 bracket on it and it will work,just not factory correct as i said factory 440 blocks use the oil pump bosses drilled and tapped with different bracket.

Casting date is 8-9-68, WAY to early for the A12 cars.

It might also be too early for a M-code A body. Mine was built in the first run which was on December 1st 1968. Why don't you post the vin number of the block? If you did that might solve the mystery of what it came out of.

In my initial add I stated that it originally came out of a 69 GTX. When I bought the block I was told that the 2 threaded bosses were for the factory A-body mounts. With that I had assumed that it would bolt right into a 440 M-code car. If they are for a 383 mount bracket what was the casting# on the M-code blocks?

The casting number for the 440 blocks from 1966 - 1972 were all 2536430 but not all 2536430 blocks have these bosses but I have no idea why that might be.

As Edd440se states the vin# is for a GTX. The assembly date of 8 24 HP is likely to early for M-code A-bodies as the 1st batch was C01 SPD(12/1/68) but some of these cars weren't built til mid January! Not sure when the earliest cars were actually built. The good part is this block DOES have the bosses and CAN be drilled and tapped for the M-code A-body motor mount just above were the oil pump is mounted.........How did i get that smiley face there? 12/1/68

Looking at 2 '69 383 A-body blocks(both have raised tits), a '67 440hp block(no raised tits) and 2 '69 440hp blocks(one has raised tits, the other doesn't) all these blocks have the bosses above the oil pump mount.

My '69 440hp block from a GTX also has the same 2 raised tits as your block but not drilled and tapped.

Those raised tits drilled and tapped on a 383 block is where the motor mount would be for 383 A-bodies, i think not all 383's have the raised tits, but i have a '71 383 block with the raised tits in a 383 A-body from long ago.

These pics are a '69 440 with the correct left A-body motor mount, this 440 doesn't have the raised tits.

Attachments

• 440 motor mount 2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 549
  • 440 motor mount 3.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 568
  • 440 motor mount.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 534
440, then 383:

Attachments

• M-code%20engine.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 482
  • db_20060513_Pics__94_1.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 470
BB-Dave, Thank You very much for the info, much appreciated. I have to end the listing as this block is not what I thought it was. Thank You All for your input!!!! BB-Dave, nice engine you have there.

BB-Dave, Thank You very much for the info, much appreciated. I have to end the listing as this block is not what I thought it was. Thank You All for your input!!!! BB-Dave, nice engine you have there.

Herein lies the power of FABO, knowledge is power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back