Magnum Rocker Help

-

Siksty7 Dart 270

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What is the most cost effective rocker arm setup for a Magnum 318? For little money I bought a long block minus any of the rocker arms and their associated hardware. I'm putting in a mild Hughes steamroller cam and their recommended valve springs/retainers/locks. I'd like to go with stock rockers, but I can't find kits. I found the rockers but not the other hardware. If you know part numbers please pass along. Thanks!

Small block Chevy roller rockers will work just fine. You have to do something like use adapter studs or enlarge the holes for the studs to use the 3/8's studs the Chevy's have. Place a want ad for stock rockers if you're wanting to keep it simple. Someone here who switched to rollers may have their stockers left over and sell them to you. Good luck.

The best geometry for the money is the factory rockers. Agree with JD on placing a wanted add. Plenty of that stuff out there. New and used.

Just beware of using factory small block Chevy rockers- they're 1.5:1 ratio, the Magnums are 1.6. You'll lose performance with the Chevy parts (big surprise!) unless you score some aftermarket 1.6 or better rockers.
I have read instances of SB Ford rockers also being used (1.6) but have never done so myself.

Stock set up is bullet proof . Fairly easy to find at the swaps or facebook . Stock pushrods worked with a reground .480 cam and .028" head gasket . I picked up the entire set up including spider and dog bones at the Garlits swap for $20 .Got a pair of reman magnums off market place for $200. Engintech or melling lifters (i believe they are the same) from rockauto and a china gap intake , runs well.

Good info Thank you all. I posted a wanted ad, if I don't find something by the time I need them, I'll go with the Hughes kit. I see they require hardened pushrods to go with the guides.

What is the most cost effective rocker arm setup for a Magnum 318? For little money I bought a long block minus any of the rocker arms and their associated hardware. I'm putting in a mild Hughes steamroller cam and their recommended valve springs/retainers/locks. I'd like to go with stock rockers, but I can't find kits. I found the rockers but not the other hardware. If you know part numbers please pass along. Thanks!
Roughly, where in Ohio are you located?
I see you have a wanted add for some of the other parts. Do you already have the lifters, dog bones, and the sheet metal retainer and bolts for the dog bones?
Also, which camshaft part number are going to use? Wondering what the lift is going to be.

-
Back