Magnum stroker ?

-

jedrattle

Reaction score
I have a 360 magnum that I want to build into a mild stroker. I need to do it on a budget(shocker! lol). I hope to be able to use the stock heads but will buy the RHS X heads if need be. Of course this drag it out longer but oh well. So I ask these questions.....

Is it possible to build a 400-450hp magnum stroker that will run on crappy california gas?
Has anyone here built a magnum stroker?
What kind of power out put?
Much $$ did you have into it?

I have been wondering the same thing as you, is a magnum stroker affordable. therefore I am going to keep a close eye on your thread

I have a 360 magnum that I want to build into a mild stroker. I need to do it on a budget(shocker! lol). I hope to be able to use the stock heads but will buy the RHS X heads if need be. Of course this drag it out longer but oh well. So I ask these questions.....

Is it possible to build a 400-450hp magnum stroker that will run on crappy california gas?
Has anyone here built a magnum stroker?
What kind of power out put?
Much $$ did you have into it?

I have built a 360 magnum stroker for my 1995 Grand Cherokee. I am not sure what kind of power I am putting down. Its all time 4 wheel drive, with 3" lift, on 31" tires and weight just over 4000lbs. With all of that in mind it ran 14.020 sec @ 97.16mph in the 1/4 mile.

The big tires and lift really hurt my times, and so does the crappy header selection that will fit in the Jeeps engine bay. I am also running the stock OBD-I computer and that isn't optimized for performance either.

Here is my Build Thread. I have everything listed on the first page that was done to the engine and Jeep.
http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread.php?t=4289

I added up the receipts a couple of months ago and I have about $8000 in the engine. But I have to run fuel injection and stuff and that bumps up the price a little compared to a carb.

I have been doing some math on it, thinking of building one my self.
The cost for the basic motor is about the same as a LA motor except for the cam.
Cams and lifters are very expensive for the magnum motors and selection is limited.

I have been doing some math on it, thinking of building one my self.
The cost for the basic motor is about the same as a LA motor except for the cam.
Cams and lifters are very expensive for the magnum motors and selection is limited.

you can easily put an LA cam in a magnum...but why?

you can reuse the magnum hydraulic roller lifter...no cost there..

have the stock hydraulic roller cam reground to better performance spec...somewhere around 150 bucks or so....

The RHS X heads that FABO member OU812, Brian at Indio Motor machine does will be easier to get you to your goal.

The stock cam can be reground, but, it's limited in lift/duration. the great thing is, as AAR mentioned, the stock lifters can be reused.

Bullet does that as well and it's $50 less IIRC, like in the $150 range.

I believe hughes cams are bullets in a different box.

You could probably build a 400 HP magnum stroker with the stock heads, if they aren't cracked.

Thanks for the responses!
Before anyone says something like.."just use an LA engine"...I have 2 magnums and I am going to use what I have.

I forgot about the cams being more $$. lol That's OK. I want a roller cam anyways. It will take some time to gather parts. I will have to wait until after tax time to get serious about it. But in the mean time I plan to research as much as possible. Cam selection is going to be my biggest/toughest decision. Along with TC selection. This engine will be a streeter with a 518 behind it.

JGC403...

I am picking up a friends `94 GC next week to do some work on. It's got a 390 mag stroker in it. He has had a crap load of problems to get it to run correctly.

JGC403...

I am picking up a friends `94 GC next week to do some work on. It's got a 390 mag stroker in it. He has had a crap load of problems to get it to run correctly.

Yea the stock OBD-I ECU aren't tunable so you need to trick the ECU to get it to run correctly.

You might want to join thespeedfreaks.net . Its a good site If you want to make your Jeep fast. A lot of good info. We'll try to help you as much as possible to get it to run correctly.

-
Back