Make my own Kick Panels?

-

lyonsronnie1

Reaction score
Hi folks!
I've got a '66 valiant more-door, that I'm putting new carpet in, and those old, destroyed kick panels i've been driving around with for years have got to go.

Any ideas or good pictures of what you other guys have done? On these early A-bodies, the kicks are just flat pieces of some sort of card stock or something, mine are about destroyed.

I'm thinking I might just make some out of backer board or something, or maybe cover them in carpet?

What's everybody been doing to theres? I don't have to worry about speakers, the previous owner cut the doors and installed them there.

Just looking for cool suggestions!

get a peice of card board trace old 1 out or tape several peices together to get what you want them to look like and get a peice of 1/4 inch plywood trace it on there cut it out and bam u got it now get some vynal your going to use and trace that 1/4 inch bigger and cut out get some spray adhesive get stong bonding type mark your holes to screw back on then spray and rap carefully mabee you have the original material to put back on it and you can use that for your pattern BAM NEW KIKERS now getr done and make sure your a gold fabo member for only 35.00 a year this is an awsome site mopar fans cant affor5d to loose it

Any good auto upholstery shop will have the original material in stock, and when I bought it, it wasn't expensive. Just cut and paint to match.

A trick Russ Meeks taught me some 20+ years ago is to use 1/8" mahogany veneer for making up interior panels instead of some form of cardboard or fiberboard.
It's easily cut to size, stable, and you can weatherproof it with a couple if coats of spar varnish, and it holds glue and staples well when attaching your upholstery material, especially when folding it around the edges and stapling on the back side with short staples to hide them.
You can find it easily at the home improvement big box stores as door skin, but I've found it was usually cheaper to buy it in a 4X8 sheet.
ABS sheet stock also works well for doing interior panels when you can find it. It can be shaped, molded, painted, and allows you to skip adding fabric entirely, although gluing fabric to it is an option.

-
Back