Making power out of the 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for not a lctually helping with a 318.

View attachment 1716215109

Yeah yeah yeah, I heard that about the 383. lol Funny thing is the 383 puts out 425ft lb torque and the 340 only 340 ft lb ,both at 3200 rpm. :D

Major red X time

Now is when we need that X. :BangHead: :BangHead: :lol:
Trolling_drawing.jpg

I want to build a 273. Out of a really destroked 340. That would be neato.

4.070 bore, 2.625 stroke
:lol:

Smfh. I want the ten minutes of my life spent reading this thread back.
No wonder teenagers give up and put fart pipes on hondas instead of building musclecars.
Some of you guys just suck the fun right out of it.

I know that there are guys on here who have and can make a 318 to run. Best of luck to the OP.

Smfh. I want the ten minutes of my life spent reading this thread back.
No wonder teenagers give up and put fart pipes on hondas instead of building musclecars.
Some of you guys just suck the fun right out of it.
It's just a fact that anything under 339 cid you can't make power with.... well.. cept the 20million 5.0 mustangs that did it :)

It's just a fact that anything under 339 cid you can't make power with.... well.. cept the 20million 5.0 mustangs that did it :)
But the 5.0 comes with the magic 4" bore :)

A lot of people have a problem with seeing past if the factory ever offered a performance version, if not the answer to them then is it can't be made to perform.

That's not true. In order to keep the peace all I'm going to say is read on what 318willrun did with the 318.

A lot of people have a problem with seeing past if the factory ever offered a performance version, if not the answer to them then is it can't be made to perform.
But yet, look at how many recommend a 360 and like the Teen, came with 2 barrel carbs. The 360's were a workhorse engine like the 318. Not meant to be a performance engine. The 360's got modified because of their Cu In. size.

That is exactly the comparison I always think of any time a 318 build is mentioned.
While I'm now old and beat the cubic inches have the best bang for the buck drum,When I was a street racing teenager in the 90's the 5.0 mustang was the car to beat.
A 3000lb rear drive box with a 302 roller cam higher rpm small block.
Looking for arbitrary hp numbers is a mistake in my opinion. Choose a realistic goal and work toward it
Then raise your goal and work toward it.
Collecting skills and experiences along the way is far more valuable than building the perfect engine the first tome.
Especially if as a young driver,you cant handle the power and end up crashing.

At 13 I was just obsessed with getting every bit of power out of my 73 duster with a slant six as I could. Ehile having literally zero dollars.
I accomplished nothing except wearing out a summit catalog.
Then I set the goal of beating an older kids 231 Buick powered monza and slowly but surely got that little 225 duster to do it.

I say ignore the arbitrary numbers that are just for bragging and build something that you can be proud of so you dont have to brag.

But wtf do I know. I thought this hobby was supposed to be fun and satisfying.

Here's the bores available to us, 3.625, 3.91, 4, 4.04 - 4.0625, 4.125, 4.25, 4.34 - 4.03125, 4.1875, 4.25, 4.32 some how 10 places is acceptable but not a close 11th that's 0.90" too far.

But yet, look at how many recommend a 360 and like the Teen came with 2 barrel carbs. The 360's were a workhorse engine like the 318. Not meant to be a performance engine. They got modified because of their Cu In. size.
360 did come with some of the 340 goodies, but took a lot of time before it became the preferred starting place, 340 were the go to for the longest time.

Look at people with a 273 some give it a pass compared to a 318 cause it has a performance version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back