Mal-Adjusted Backlash Noise

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
On an 8-3/4" Posi, the owner had a ring & pinion set installed........the gears whined during deceleration only......quite noisy........sounds like backlash wasn't properly set..............

Question: After a couple thousand miles were driven with the lack of proper shims, will a correction NOW get rid of the noise?......assuming, that is, that the gears were not hammered constantly.....normal driving conditions.......

I would hate to set this, and then due to the abnormal wear, not give him any difference in the noise level.............He's looking for cheapest way out to quiet it down.............to be honest, I don't expect to find a lot of wear........the car hasn't been driven hard at all..........just a weekend cruiser..........

What do you think? :scratch:

Depends, but I'd say it may be more pinion depth than backlash. Years ago Chrysler made us reset the pinion depth and backlash before replacing a gear set under warranty. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

Guitar Jones said:
Depends, but I'd say it may be more pinion depth than backlash. Years ago Chrysler made us reset the pinion depth and backlash before replacing a gear set under warranty. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

They still make us do that.I agree,the pinion depth is more than likely to shallow(need more shim).I have had some luck just on a depth and backlash reset.

And as one without much experience with gearing, resetting the pinion depth must be done inside (removing the pumpkin), NOT from outside (from the yoke end).......Correct?

Correct. The pumkin is taken apart, the pinion gear is removed, and shims are removed/added.

ramhemi said:
They still make us do that.I agree,the pinion depth is more than likely to shallow(need more shim).I have had some luck just on a depth and backlash reset.

Ha ha, I don't bother anymore, but then I haven't run across many gear related noise complaints in awhile.

-
Back