Mallory unilite distributor-Are they o.k?

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I picked up a mallory unilite for 30$ I've never used one. Talked to a guy at the mopar shop and he told me they don't even stock them anymore, just the parts. He says they are very unreliable. Has anyone used one with good results?

I haven't used one for many years due to the fact that the "eye" would constantly burnout and the cost to replace it (approx. $65 many years ago) was getting to me. Otherwise, when it did run, it ran well.

I haven't used one for many years due to the fact that the "eye" would constantly burnout and the cost to replace it (approx. $65 many years ago) was getting to me. Otherwise, when it did run, it ran well.
Couldnt have said it better.Carry a spare lite,there hard to find when your
on the road.

Put a Mallory Unilite in my friends '72 Vette and it was trouble free for over 10 years. I think they did have problems when they first came out though. I just priced one out on Summits web site the other day so they are still available for a small block mopar. I like them, one wire to hook up and go.

well, I figure for the price I could pick up a spare LED and try it out for awhile. I have to get a new cap and rotor first. Thanks for help.

well, I figure for the price I could pick up a spare LED and try it out for awhile. I have to get a new cap and rotor first. Thanks for help.

63dartman, before you buy a cap and rotor, let me take a look in the garage. I seem to remember coming across a Mallory dist. cap box but can't remember if it had a Mallory or stock cap in there. Feel free to PM tomorrow as a reminder.

I have one that I ran for many years without a problem. I still have it and would be willing the sell...

yes they are prone to burn out, but its usualy because voltage spikes /surges... dont jump start the car or anyone else...almost guarunteed falure... Pertronix now sells a magnetic pickup set up that replaces the unilite in unilite distributors...im running a unilite...and i keep a points distributor with me just incase!

The Mopar Performance distributors are Mallory and have mallory adjustable advance plates in them.

They use a Mallory advance mechanism in them but use a stock mopar magnetic pick-up verse the Unilite optical trigger. They also use stock mopar caps and rotors.

Well, I gave up on the Mallory. I put in a new LED unit and still does not fire. Lined up the arrow on the rotor to the eye and it's dead on #1. Does anyone know for sure if these are compatible with the mopar electronic boxes? I thought about going to an msd or mallory but, I don't want to waste money on it if it's no better than what I got. Currently I'm running the mopar performance without the vac advance. I pulled the distributor apart and locked the vac advance plate in place and completely removed the vac advance stuff to free up a little space. I'm running about 12* initial and goes straight to 35* total at around 2000 rpm. Think I should just leave everything alone? I don't have any issues with the unit that is in there. Just looking to upgrade.

-
Back