Mancini extra heavy duty springs sagging

-

daisyak9

70 Dart 383
Reaction score
I just installed the new leafs in my 1970 swinger and now its sagging. Are LH/RH specific? Im pretty sure they had the same part # on them(1982), they look identical. Now they are in the car and I can only see one of the part #s. I have the one that I can find the # on in the passenger side. It is 1.75-2" low on the drivers side. Finally got my 8.75 in (3.90 suregrip).. 383ci 727(2800 stall(soon))

Sounds like you got a set of Super Stocks. Give them a visual,and see if they look different.
Swap them side to side,and your good to go. Or send them back,and tell them you want a pair of even/identicle springs,like you ordered.

I have had a set of heavy duty's from ESPO springs that sagged on me as well. Went with 1" over stock heavy duty springs & much better.

So the problem is that I bought them 5yrs ago and just put them in the car. I talked with a Rep at Mancini and they are different RH/LH, they are installed correctly (50/50 shot). Mancini can't do anything for me since I bought them so long ago. Shorty after I bought them I got a 4 year assignment to Japan(USAF). I'm thinking I am going to go to the local spring shop to get them re-arched? Anyone have thoughts on that?

before you do that (have them re-arched) you should make sure you have them on the correct side if your luck is anything like mine you prolly DONT have them on right and all my be fine when you get them on correct.

before you do that (have them re-arched) you should make sure you have them on the correct side if your luck is anything like mine you prolly DONT have them on right and all my be fine when you get them on correct.

If you have them re arched have them done with heat the cold way no good.

i just put some on my demon(1981&1982)and had to put 2"lowering blocks on it....looked like i had air shocks pumped all tha way up.they were bought 8 years ago...also they have jrs on em.

Look up "Super Stock" springs. Read and learn about them. The passenger side will be somewhere between 1"-2" higher than the driver sise.Some call it the "stink bug look". Apon acceleration,the passenger side "sits",leveling the suspension/car.

Now after you get up to speed with the operation of SS springs,and it sounds like something you are interested in,go out and switch the springs side to side,because you have them on Backwards.

I suppose I should have mentioned that it is the passenger side that is higher, and talking with one Mancini's tech guys they are on the correct side. I was wondering if I could make up SOME of the difference with the torsion bars? He also mentioned that the pass side should be 1/2" higher, mine is about 2" higher in the rear and 1 3/4" in the front? The car was nice and level before. The car had worn out leafs, shackle extensions, add-a-leafs and air shocks(when I bought it.) By the way thanks all, for your input...

Sorry,I re-read your first post,and you stated the drivers side is low. That is the way the springs are designed. You have them installed the Correct way.

If you want the car to sit level,there are a couple ways to go.
You can buy another drivers side spring and install it on the passenger side. But with the
unknown history of these springs,getting the correct spring could be a crap shoot.

Or sell this set as Super Stock springs,and buy a new set of stock replacement springs.

Re-arching would be a waste of time/money IMO.

There are people on this site that will buy your SS springs.

PS: Can you show us some pics of the car ?

I was wondering if I could make up SOME of the difference with the torsion bars? ...

Yes you can raise the drivers side torsion bar. I have these same exact springs on my Demon. I'm surprised you said they were sagging, these springs do add about 1"-2" inches over stock.

Also, these are not SS springs, these are Heavy Duty springs made for Mancini by a company in Michigan. These were the only A-Body HD springs available a few years ago.

Sorry,I re-read your first post,and you stated the drivers side is low. That is the way the springs are designed. You have them installed the Correct way.

I always believed the left side was supposed to be slightly lower because when the car launches it shifts weight to the right side which you would want to be stiffer (higher) to hook up.....
When I installed the XHD springs on my Scamp the right side is higher when you install the springs correctly.

I'm going to put the front on jackstands(level the front) to take it out of equation. I'll keep you posted. I have no idea what the previous owner did to compensate for the weak leaf springs. I'll post what ever i find.. I'll post pictures..

So I adjusted my torsion bars last night and it is way better. I'm going adjust it a little more. I did exspect to right onthe first time.. Again thanks all..

Attachments

• IMAG0381.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMAG0388.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 220
We had the exact same problem with the Duster we bought ss springs from Mancini knowing that the right was going to sit higher than the left ,all was fine until we put the new tires and wheels on it and now the tire rubs on the left side when cornering, We ended up ordering a nother right hand spring to raise up the left a little. hope fully this fixes our problem, this is tomorrow mornings project. If this works we will have a left hand spring up for grabs.

Bob / Bryce

Car looks great.
Pics of the car on the ground would help the cause.

-
Back