manifold/head?

-

Elvis'dart

Reaction score
74 Dart - 225 - 50K original miles - sweet find - a few dents - paint/vinyl top and interior perfect!!

Blown manifold gasket

Broke #1 stud - broke stud off with vice grips - broke easy out off in block - removed head to take to machine shop. Took my time - lots of soaking/heat/freeze out - must be welded to the head

My question - would it be easier/possible to assemble the manifolds to the head and then put the head on? The are SUCH a pain. Would make life so much easier. Too heavy?

Thought about just pulling the motor and detailing it's just a few more bolts - will the engine go in with the manifolds on?

I have read that putting a bead of RTV on the downhill side of the gasket will prevent leaks. I assume this is on top of the gasket where it ouched the head, not the down side where it touches the block??

Thanks in advance for patience advice - old Chevy person - the Mopar world is a little new to me

Easier, maybe, except for the fact the combo would weigh maybe 150 lbs. It's hard enough lifting the pair of manifolds bolted together into the engine compartment at arms length. If you have a hoist rigged already, go for it.

Go to slantsix.org for a good article on assembling the manifolds so they don't leak.

I was thinking a 4 person job - 2 on head, 1 on manifold and one for pushrods - if I can afford the beer to get the help

An engine hoist is a great idea that I had not though of - thank you. May have to remove the hood. Need to measure and pick my poison I suppose

Read the slant six article - thank you for the suggestion. Lots of great info over there - little "snarkier" crowd.

Welcome to the camp.
My forward-most stud broke off too. My machine shop guy took care of it when he did the head work.

I would consider doing a bench assembly of the head and manifolds then install on the block complete. Look right above the intake/exhaust ports on the head and you should see 2 bosses with tapped holes. That's where you attach your lifting chain. The one in the middle is good for installing the engine only. The rear-most one is good for installing/removing the engine/trans as an assembly.

4 person job? I usually work alone because everybody else wants to rush things and something gets overlooked. No need for another pushrod guy. Remove the rocker shafts with the rockers and pushrods before hand. Take a look at the shaft and make sure the oil holes feeding the rockers are clear. Mine were completely clogged but the car had sat for 3 decades. Drop the rods in and install the rocker shaft assembly by yourself. More beer for you AFTER the job is over.

The intake and exhaust manifolds bolt together with three bolts near the carburetor.

I loosely threaded them and then mounted the intake and exhaust manifolds to the head. I then torqued the intake and exhaust nuts to the head, then finished with torquing the three intake to exhaust manifold bolts...

That way the ports for the intake and exhaust manifold can "fit" themselves to the head to be on the same plane for better sealing....

Thank for all of the advice. A little more at home with a 350 chevy, but this little engine is growing on me.

I may just go ahead and pull the engine. Need motor mounts and its just a few more bolts and great chance to do away with leaks.

I only have two more ?s tonight: can I assemble engine with manifolds and drop it in or do i have to put the manifolds on after?

#2 - I have read about putting RTV on the downhill side of the head gasket. Does that go on the block side or the head side or both?

Thank you to everyone

-
Back