Manual Brake Booster Rod? Conversion for 65 Barracuda

-

MonkeyMadness

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Converting my 65 manual single pot Booster to a Dual pot. Which rod / Length do I need?
I saved the stock rod thinking that what I would use but now after some reading I've come to the conclusion I'm wrong. Now I need to know which rod I need?

thanks j

DSC00065.JPG

Note: Not my picture, stole from bbrroowwnn in the for-sale forum

Depends on what dual-pot MC you use. Below is a photo of my 64 Valiant single-pot MC, showing that the pedal winds up in the same place by using a stock manual brake rod w/ a 99 Breeze ABS MC on a 2-4 bolt adapter plate. After this photo, I moved the rubber dust bellows over to the new MC (super-glued).
Breeze MC pedal same position.JPG

I ended up picking up a at autozone a dual pot booster for a 69 barracuda w/ disc's. Now I just need to know which brake rod I need.
I'm in no hurry just want to make sure I get the right one.

The brake rod length just determines where the pedal will sit. Re-install and adjust the brake switch when done. I think you want it at about the same level as the accelerator so your right foot doesn't get tangled when moving it. But only for old drivers who were taught to drive a stick-shift (when I took driver's ed). I understand that today they teach braking w/ the left foot since sticks are now rare. Indeed, I brake w/ the left now, so equal height doesn't really matter. You also need to insure that the new rubber bushing on the rod tip will lock into your disk-type MC. Perhaps I was lucky that it did in my Breeze MC. Indeed, I tore up a bushing after a test-fit since I had to remove the rod to add the dust bellows.

I used a Mancini racing adjustable rod when I switched my 65 Dart over to dual MC
Mancini Racing Adjustable Brake Rod Pushrod
Item #: MRE316 $42.95

-
Back