Manual Master cylinder question

-

68dartgtman

Reaction score
I have a leaking master cylinder ( 68 Dart GT manual with drum brakes) and I was considering adding a power booster to a new master cylinder. I have read somewhere on this "Brakes" category that I could use a master cylinder for a 74 Charger with manual front disc brakes as it has a larger plunger inside which acts like a "power booster" for the drum brakes......... has anyone else heard of this? I need to replace soon as the old master cylinder is leaking at the firewall and I want to repaint the firewall & aprons soon and do not want fluid leaking on the new paint !
Thank you !

For more assist, you want an MC with a SMALLER piston (plunger). Many here like 7/8" or 15/16" D. If you do get a vacuum booster, you also need the stand-off brackets w/ lever and pedal rod. The MC is generally different for power brakes. Many here don't feel one needs a booster, especially w/ drum brakes. I use DOT 5 (silicone) brake fluid in most my cars, so no more internal rust nor ruined paint.

Hey BillGrissom - Thanks Bud for the info - I did read about the change in set up if I go to a power booster - thank you for letting me know - I think I'll stay with the set up I have after reading your recommendation as this will be a "cruiser" and not a HotRod ....
"All Show but no go !" the 318 V8 seems to have plenty of power for me....... I've had them before and always had great service out of them.
Going fast doesn't turn me on but looking good does !! LOL

Thanks again !!

-
Back