MANUAL TO POWER STEERING

-

A/MP

Reaction score
Anything needed to change manual to power steering for 1966 Barracuda? More modern box,pump, brackets,etc? Has a 1980 /6. Thanks

need geagbox,high and low pressure hose, a choice of saginaw or federal pump with brackets, then you need to have groove on pulley on crank that lines up with pulley on front of pump,if you have a pulley that lines up then a belt , then steering column on manual steering is longer than column on power steering, maybe someone else on a bodies can tell u if there is an adapter for length of steering column

Also need a 2 groove crank pulley. Best to find a car with everything you need, and get everything.

Anything needed to change manual to power steering for 1966 Barracuda? More modern box,pump, brackets,etc? Has a 1980 /6. Thanks
since your current manual steering column has a color that matches your interior (& is likely in good shape,no scratches/dents) just locate a PS column & swap the shorter inner steel core shaft (pretty much just take out the turn signal assy stuff & a snap ring & it is free).

I have EVERYTHING for that conversion....power steering box w/coupler housing and pitman arm, steering pump w/brackets, pulley, and bolts, crank pully w/bolts, both steering hoses, steering shaft...the whole nine yards. All parts removed from a 1966 Dart. I can furnish pics if you'd like....

PM me on this message board or give me a call toll free at 877-930-4088....

A Saginaw power steering pump is best. Slants are easier since I think there were fewer pulley variations than in small blocks, though a 1980 engine may bring surprises. An AC compressor may limit choices. Some 1978-79 slants had Sanden compressors (nice) w/ a Saginaw p.s. pump off the same bracket. Yours could have that. In a 1966, the brackets will come close to the battery, though there are starting to be thinner batteries in some cars that might work.

-
Back