Manual Trans Z-bar Frame Side Ball Stud Mount Support Bracket?

-

Casey

Reaction score
Wow, that's a mouthful. Does anyone have a pic (looking into the driver's side wheel weel area) of the reinforcement plate (welded to the inner wheelhouse) through whcih the z-bar's outboard ball stud shaft passes? Preferably from a late ('74-'76) A-body...

IIRC, it's a squarish shape with a 1/4 rolled flange around the perimter.

One thing you can do (which I plan on doing) is making your own with 3/16" steel and welding it in place instead of bothering with the thin material of the bracket. this way you can make one that's large enough to get some overlap on the frame rail and provide a little extra strength and resistance to cracking the sheet metal on the fender. Plus if done right you could probably make it look much cleaner than the factory bracket.

This one from Brewer's looks plenty strong:

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=FB676

Maybe the ones Brewer's carries are different than stock pieces?

I don't think I'll have too many torque stress issues with a /6 setup, either way. I want it to look factory, so a home-made plate isn't gonna cut it for me. Plus, it will be welded it in place, so it will be plenty strong.

If anyone is still interested (and that Brewer's part looks really nice), I made one from plain carbon steel sheet (.075" thick). 4" wide x 3" left side x 4" right side. Made two of them and "gorilla glued" them together. Drilled a 5/8" dia hole measured 1 1/2" down from top and 1 1/2" in from right side. Didn't weld it to the body -- just bolted it in. Nice and solid and solved that flexing problem caused by the body "ball stud" bending the inner fender panel. The Brewer part looks great -- I may just buy that and weld it in!!!

Here you go, Shouldnt be to hard to make.

z-barshaftplate.jpg

-
Back