Manual valve body 46re 3rd gear issues :(

-

Plato2k5

Reaction score
46re with transgo shift kit to convert it to a full manual vb. lockup and overdrive are activated by switches that ground the solenoid.

This is in my mopar 360 la powered 88 wrangler on 39.5" tires, with steel beadlock wheels. So very heavy.

Was at the sand dunes few weekends ago and took 10 or so passes down the 1/8 mile strip. Tires aired down to 5 psi, 4 low, and shifting through all the gears reaching around 60 mph.

Driving around town, it momentarily would lock up the rear end and release. Very scary. Did this twice in a row, then not again. Other day it did it again...however I was going slow and it felt like it just downshifted to second. I was going fast when it first happened so I think the downshift caused the rear to stop suddenly.

This is a rebuilt trans with around 800 miles on it....all very very very hard miles.

Line pressure is 130ish, when lockup and od on, it's around 150. Line pressure does not drop when it has the issue.

What should check for? Seems it happens when trans is not cold

Was told to check linkage. I'll see what I find there.

Could it be in the rear-end; cross pin/spiders had enough? Could be in the T-case,too.Is that a chain-type? If its flipping between hi to low it might feel like its locking up.
Im pretty sure (hard to tell from here)that the tranny is fine.Even a not-built 727 will take all the 360 can dish out.Especially in low range.
Check your U-joints too.Not that I think that theyre the cause of it, but that a lock-up like that with 39.5s can be real hard on them.

well, seems as if the adjustment on the linkage has helped! Shifts much better now as well and my line pressure is a bit higher too. Thanks for the suggestions though guys! Really do appreciate it all. It felt good and didn't have the issue while driving around town. I'll keep driving and report back :)

Ok so update.... Was not the linkage.

Took VB out to tear it apart and look for problems...checked good.

Pulled trans to look at the 3rd clutch seals....checked good.

Buddy had his 47rh on the bench torn apart. So I got to thinking maybe I just don't have enough fluid. Well...I was rite. Looked at his dipstick and my full line was below his min line. I have a lokar stick since the stick one would hit the firewall. Guess it requires more fluid then my 727 did.

46re with transgo shift kit to convert it to a full manual vb. lockup and overdrive are activated by switches that ground the solenoid.

You called this a 46re, what is it out of? I'd like a few more details on what's required to manual shift the thing

Correct! 46RE that is converted to a full manual valve body. For lockup and overdrive you have a switch that grounds the solenoids. I used a transgo shift kit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trg-tfod-3

Works well. I drilled out the holes in the seperator plate to big so now the 2nd gear shift is harsh.

-
Back