Marine dist.

-
Marine dist have no vacuum advance and might not spin the right way. You wouldn't want to run without the vacuum advance on the street unless you want really crappy mileage.

Marine dist have no vacuum advance and might not spin the right way. You wouldn't want to run without the vacuum advance on the street unless you want really crappy mileage.

If you see my car in the sig,I really dont care about mileage!!!! LOL

It would get you home but the advance curve would most likely be way different than a street car.

Chuck

They seem to be pretty good. Most I've seen are cast iron Prestolite no vacuum advance, short mechanical advance, pretty quick curve. Marine 318, 340, 360 seem to use the 340 cam approximately. The biggest problem is that a lot of marine engines run opposite of our cars as pointed out by Daliant.

It really doesn't matter which way the distributor rotates on a motor. If it rotates the wrong direction then put your wires in the firing order in the direction of the distributor rotation.

Its the cam gear and oil pump driveshaft gear that decides which way the distributor rotates. The distributor is just along for the ride.

Chuck

It really doesn't matter which way the distributor rotates on a motor. If it rotates the wrong direction then put your wires in the firing order in the direction of the distributor rotation.

Its the cam gear and oil pump driveshaft gear that decides which way the distributor rotates. The distributor is just along for the ride.

Chuck

I'm not sure but, wouldn't the mechanical advance would be a mechanical retard if turned the wrong way?

Ah now your thinking, yes that would be an issue with rotating a distributor the wrong direction.

But... the distributors in the motors regardless if it is a clockwise or counter clockwise motor have to go in the same direction because you can't spin the oil pump backwards. It must go only one direction which is clockwise.

Chuck

Marine engines use a different oil pump on reverse rotation engines, they spin backwards along with everything else. Marine engines and their lefthanded stuff just plain sucks!

-
Back