Married guys - car budgets and honesty

-
I takes skill to keep a woman happy and have your fun. Something divorced guys never mastered. By the way...those testicles in my wife's purse are really marbles. I keep mine in their original package. :D

By the way...those testicles in my wife's purse are really marbles. I keep mine in their original package. :D

I get to use mine on whoever, wherever, however I want.... :D

I didn't know being PW was a skill... #-o

I takes skill to keep a woman happy and have your fun. Something divorced guys never mastered. By the way...those testicles in my wife's purse are really marbles. I keep mine in their original package. :D

LOL! some of you "shilled" men have never heard " I ALWAYS get what I want", its up to the MAN to pay for EVERYTHING", "I an ALWAYS right", " this is my Christmas list GET it!", " you're buying that over my dead body" ( no, I never have been featured on 60 minutes).... the list goes on....
fortunately, these people are no longer in my life! LOL
my supply of marbles is not what it used to be!!!

I'm not divorced because I lack skills for marriage but because I was sick of being married to a crazy drunken *****! (who also happened to HATE my Barracuda) LOL

She tried to tell me she was gonna take my car and my business, which I started 12 years before I even met her.

We never did combine bank accounts, thankfully. I woke up one morning about a year ago exactly, after a really bad night that I will probably never forget, and told her to pack her junk and find a place to live, asap. Best thing I did in a LONG time.

That said, whatever works best for each of us is what works best. I don't think there can be any one way for everyone, that's for sure.

Let's put it this way.

My biggest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell my cars and guns for what I told her I paid for them!

this^ :burnout:

In all honesty, my wife really doesn't fuss much at all about it, provided all the bills are paid, cars are gassed up and groceries bought.

That said, whatever works best for each of us is what works best. I don't think there can be any one way for everyone, that's for sure.[/quote]

Truer words were never spoken......Hell what works for me on Monday fails on Wednesday then works again on Saturday....go figure the only thing consistent about women is that they consistently change their minds.

I married about as well as any man alive. Separate accounts, no questions as long as everything's paid for. Neither of us are stupid with money; we're both paranoid about saving as much money as we can, but I still manage to do whatever I want within reason. I'm the one holding myself back if there is such a thing. If anything, she enables me. I love my wife. :)

Marriage is a partnership, and no secrets should be had. What's priority in your life, a car or your wife, whom you make a lifetime commitement to. Just things to think about. Been married for 25 now, kids in college, and hobbies(turned into a business 15 yrs ago with my wife). She's not into the hobbies, but I treat her like she deserves to be treated, and she does the same.

Some people aren't as fortunate, and I get all that, so work with what you have, and grow the relationship with your wife.

If you aren't married and have a GF, then to me thats not exactly the same, as you have not bonded in marriage, so you each should have your own setup as far as finances are concerned.

I don't tell my wife what I spend on my car hobby. Unless I buy a car. All the resto stuff I keep to myself. I have my own farming business and always have sources for extra money. She knows I spend extra money on my cars but doesn't know how much ( thank goodness ). I give her credit for not pushing it too far. On the other hand I take very good care of my wife. We have a new home, weekly house keeper, nice car and I make 95% of our income. Sometimes I feel bad for spending all this money on resto projects. Its a disease! Good Luck Guys! __________________ Current project 71 Duster 340 GY3

lol- yeah that never goes over well- buy her flowers, yourself a supercharger, everyone is happy. ;)

I laughed really hard on your comment.

I remember the supercharger I bought myself as a Christmas present, normally she don't say anything about car parts that I buy, but for some reason she was pissed, maybe because its for a my vette that she hates.
Flowers would not helped she was pissed for a week.

We both work and have separate accounts, money was not the issue, it was the principle that she found out after the fact.

Marriage one: Epic failure- Joint account - not a car chick.
Marriage Two: Still joint account but is a car chick. loves her Classics.

I do a big XL spreadsheet and overprice everything and then go over it with her while walking around the car.I get her involved as much as i can by asking her to clean parts in the parts washer, painting bolts, wire brushing stuff. etc When im looking at parts i usually have 2 options in mind so i ask her what she thinks and explain the pros and cons to each choice. This method seems to work well and she enjoys our time in the shed. I usually sell cars i have laying around to fund build projects.

I have been with my Wife 23 years.I told her up front on our first date."I am into old cars and if you wine and ***** because I spend too much time or money on them you know where to door is"! She has never once in 23 years bitched about my cars.I can't say that about my Buddies Wives and Ex Wives.

My wife and I have a common savings account where her checks go.but I never put my check there,opting instead to pay all the utilities and mortgage with my check once it's cashed.She doesn't make much-and would probably cringe if she knew what I've put into the car even though it isn't THAT much. I have maybe $4000 in my Dart,mostly it's in the drivetrain as the body is "Northern"-$2000 of which was the initial price of the car. I work 50 hour weeks compared to her 20-25 so I think what I spend my money on (AFTER the bills are paid) is my damned business .Besides,MOPARs are a sickness to which there is no cure and she knows that.

It's all about MANHOOD...

[ame]http://youtu.be/pl3tRazolMw[/ame]

Haha! ^ I don't feel so bad now. About 50 posters and only about 1/3 have a "full disclosure" policy. My wife and I have a marriage of convenience. It's convenient for her to be married to me. I bought my Dart for $500 and have spent another $1200 making it a reliable daily driver. She traded in her 2013 Kia Optima for a 2015 Kia Sorento, going $11K upside down and financing $45K for a 32K car. But I don't care because she makes her payments. I even paid $1000 down out of MY money. So if I want to spend $60 for tail light lenses because one of mine is busted, out of MY car fund savings, I don't feel like I should have to justify it or ask permission. We've been married for 13 years and are both in our mid 50s. She started menopause about 7 years ago and it's been hormone hell ever since. Lol.

Like my old man says - can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em either. He says some other things too which are probably best left unsaid.

Listen, call me a pussy all you want, I don't give a ****. I thought about divorce plenty of times but so far I've stuck it out. I'm a man for being in this situation and also for keeping my word and staying with it. Can't stand the thought of leaving my kids so it is what it is. My parents got divorced when I was around 13. Trying not to repeat their mistakes.

Anyway, I have a hard time with the full disclosure thing. Guess I just like to keep some things close to the vest. Is that wrong? I'll bet there are things my wife doesn't tell me about but when it comes down to it, I can't hide from all of it and I'm not trying to.

There was t-shirt I saw at Carlisle last year I wish I would have bought. It said "My wife would kill me if she really knew how much I spend on my car". Thought that was about right.

my love of car cost me my 1st and only marriage,kept secrets about costs,ordered parts and sent them to my friends houses,snuck them into the garage in the middle of the night.All things I'm not proud of.But she knew I was into cars when she married me.All bills were paid,put a roof over her and her kids heads as well as my son's head,all kids were treated the same.She would get pissed if I was out in the garage,tried to explain to her at least you know where I am,not sitting ina bar ,if you need me just have to yell out back.Put it this way my money was her money,her money was her money and I didn't have any money.LOL She inherited 100,000 when her dad died,told me I hope you don't have any plans for my money.Then within 6 months she bailed outwith her $and about 40,000 of my $,plus 1500 in spousal and child support per month.Needless to say I'm done w/women,been happily divorced 10yrs now and plan to stay that way.

When I married my wife... she too is tight as crap with spending money (still still is) lol. At first it was hard for her to spend our money on my/our mopars. I then showed her the value of the cars and what they will be worth someday. Even the car parts that I buy today... I tell her what or how much in value they will be worth..let's say in ten years. It is like. 401 k plan but we can touch and drive them. She understands now and is usually the one that helps convince me to spend money on the cars because she know we can (if we had to) always get that money back.
PLUS. I am the sole provider and we have only been married for 7 years. I bought her a 69' barracuda convertable. This too helps.

Boy I don't know what to say I have been married for 53 years and still playing with my cars never quit I was into cars when I meant her and told that is how I make a living so get use to it and we have a joint acct and I have my car acct so we are both happy and raise 4 kids and they are all out on there own Thank God.

WOW! Talk about opening a can of worms. Not married, but many close friends both male and female. My life and money is mine to do with as I please. Don't have to "Check with the Boss". That line really bugs me when I hear it. A friend of mine once said that he didn't realize the woman he married became a detective. Digging into his past, present or future. Looking through his cell phone for numbers or calls. I'm not saying marriage is a bad thing, it's just not for me and I'm okay with that.

My wife and I have a joint account for bills, family stuff, and a bit of a slush fund... We also each have our own accounts, and nearly all my car $ come fro my own account. Like you I dip into the joint funds for a needed part or thing every once in a while, but its rare. I hate my wife knowing what some of this stuff costs, because I frequently "kick the can down the road" on other stuff, home repairs, or travel (which she loves)... She gets on me pretty hard when I say we cant afford this or that, and then she hears what my new wheels cost.... But honestly, if she asks, I tell the truth. When she has asked what I need for something, I tell the truth then too... Remember, they may not be in the hobby, but they do know what it means to us, My wife has suprised me a few times wanting to make sure I have money for car stuff when things are tight...

What has worked best for me to help justify the funds I put to my car is is to try and budget some of that stuff ahead of time. I set aside some cash from our joint account, and my account for vacation or whatever that she wants/needs. I let her know what its for and if she wants to move it to another thing, thats up to her... Also, when I get some overtime, or extra dough I let it be known ahead of time where its gonna land... So if its my car money thats what it is; and if its for a dining room table or a trip to see her family, I gotta keep my greasy hands off too...

Goodluck,

JOE

Wow....whole lotta male testosterone floating around here. Call me what you want,My wife knows every penny I spend on my car and at times it takes a little talking to show her it's worth it. She is my life partner and I treat her as such.

My wife was a waitress for 37 years. She gets a new house about every seven years, and a new car about every three hundred and twenty thousand miles. I allowed her to buy a condo in a warmer climate to get away from the winter weather every once in a while . She doesn't complain too much when I get a car part. I do the repairs for our entire family, saving them zillions. If you take care of mamas babies, she'll take care of you. Oddly enough she complains if I spend a lot on fishing stuff.

-
Back