Master cylinder rebuild or replace?

-

rich006

Learning as I go
Reaction score
Have you ever regretted rebuilding your own master cylinder? I'm trying to decide whether to rebuild or replace. I have the shop manual and the old cyl seems in good condition except I think it has an internal leak (pedal slowly sinks to the floor when I'm stopped at a light).

My dad showed me how to rebuild mine when I first got the car, I've had zero problems since the rebuild.

I guess I would be nervous to buy someone else's rebuild though, because I don't know how good they are.

A master cylinder kit cost nearly as much or more than a rebuilt more than 30 some years ago.

Plus a rebuilt has a warrantee

Plus many times when you buy a rebuilt you "actually" get a new one.

I sold auto parts and heavy hardware up until about late eighties early 90's and it was true "way back then"

If it's the original try rebuding it. It's easy! Getting a remanufactured anything from the part stores are hit or miss now.

when we rebuild our engines we bore and install bigger pistons.
rebuilt masters can be honed excessively and have standard pistons and seals installed..

..buy a new one or rebuild yours if it's in good shape

when we rebuild our engines we bore and install bigger pistons.
rebuilt masters can be honed excessively and have standard pistons and seals installed..

..buy a new one or rebuild yours if it's in good shape

........And what makes you think a "home rebuilt" is any better than a "store" rebuilt?

The store-bought MC I put in my 65 Newport started the "sinking pedal" within a few years. I pulled the piston out and found everything pristine inside, but the piston seal had been cut by a sharp edge. Apparently, the rebuilders honed the cylinder but didn't "break" the edges on the feed holes. Thus, one can do better at home. Not the first time I have found problems w/ rebuilt parts.

........And what makes you think a "home rebuilt" is any better than a "store" rebuilt?

You have no idea how badly pitted the store rebuilt unit was before the rebuild.
"rebuild yours if it's in good shape"

-
Back