matching my body paint with wheels

-

Mopar-Madness

Reaction score
I think my other post got deleted some how, so ill ask again here. Hope this is the right forum. My dart is B5 blue with the white bee stripe. My plan is to match my steel rally rims in b5 blue with the chrome ring and center cap.

Heres my problem. I went to a couple of places that powder coat, they basicly give you a list of colors to choose from where they do not mix to match. None of the colors seem to match. Could I go with basic paint on rims or will that rust too fast or chip badly? Any other options I might have?

Welcome to the site! I would just sand blast them and use regular auto paint. (the factory did!) Why pay to have them powdercoated if they don't match the desiered color. You can also get your paint matched at a parts store/body shop that sells paint, they can get the color right and put it in a spray can, I have done this and it works great! The paint should last a long time if you prep them properly , be sure to prime them too. You could also clear coat them, waxing them when the paint cures also helps prolong the life!

Ditto's on what 66 says..............

I've had very little problem with chipping or peeling when the wheels were first blasted, covered with etching primer, then prepped and painted either with something like Dupli-Color sprays OR base/clear. Duplicolor sprays are lacquer base products which will hold up pretty well if you clear them properly. They're also inexpensive to touch up and recoat, unlike base/clear.

Proper preparation of the wheel will determine the outcome.

Mopar Madness, first off, welcome to the best A Body site on the net.

Secondly, you haven't been calling the right powder coater. Though rare, some of us offer outstanding color choices, special orders and custom color matching for a fair price. My shop's got 6,500+ powder colors available; if by some very small chance the exact color you need isn't already manufactured, it can be! You can also get free color swatches in the mail.

Yes, rims can be pricey to ship since they're heavy but if you've really got your heart set on your rims matching your paint job, you don't have to settle on paint. I'll even give ya a discount since you're a FABO member. :-D Give me a call if I can help.

^^^^Im getting my powder coat list together now...^^^^^

Damn Cudachick, I forgot to mention you! BTW, good job getting paypal set-up, I will have to get some valve covers done sometime soon by you!! :toothy10:

when i first put my 69 together i just used plasticoat touch up primer, paint and clear on my police wheels. 3 coats each. it held up really well. in fact when i wanted to strip them and paint them with real paint ot match the fresh paint o nthe car, i was too busy so i brought them to a radiator shop that hot tanks, sand blasts ... i asked them to blast them, they guy says you just want the paint removed right? yeah. i picked them up by the end of the week and he was just pulling them out of the hot tank. ??? he says it cheaper for them to soak in there a few days than to pay a man's labor. ok. he says what the hell kind of paint was that, it didnt wan to come off for ****.

I,d paint and mount one first. I thought it would be a good look on a Duster I owned but it was,nt. The wheels did,nt "set off" the car life the silver did. make sure ya like it b4 powdercoating.I didnt. Not saying you wont like it but its cheap to duplicolor one to check out the look.

My hemi Superbee had body colored wheels with poverty caps. I preped them just like the body, epoxy primer, three coats of base and three coats of clear. I had the car for 8 years and they looked great. Paint correct, but if you want them powdercoated go for it.

Nothing against Leanna or powdercoating, but painting your wheels yourself is cheaper and if done right will last a long time. I see some wheels occasionally that I painted with a rattle can back in the early 90's and they still look presentable. It's all in the prep before the paint.

-
Back