matching rods to pistons - press fit vice free floating

-

greymouser7

Vagrant Vagabond “Veni Vidi Vici”
Reaction score
if you have hyper 'e' pistons designed for pressed fit pin, does that affect what rod you use or how easily it is to remove the rod once the rod is installed on the piston pin?

would refurbished factory rods be plenty strong for hyper 'e' pistons for use on street with no boost of any kind? or better to buy the scat 4340 i beam rods

the cheap alloy eagle i beams (?5140??) that Mike dislikes- are they plenty good enough??

this must be a pretty dumb question, - i have worked with an ignorant machinist in the past, have been out-of-town collecting parts for the past many years, and am still trying to fill the gaping holes in my knowledge

anyways he said he could not use the first set of pistons i bought with the rods i had

speed pro hyper 'e's and eagle h beam rods...

i am gonna build two 360's now, one for the running road runner, and one for the aspen/volare hotrod i have been collecting parts for...

hi, the piston will determine which rod you will use. if piston does not have lock ring grooves, then it will only work on a press fit rod. if it has lock ring grooves, then you can either use press fit or full floater. the rod will have to have a bushing in pin end for full floating pins.I prefer full floaters, you can assemble and disassemble them yourself.just food for thought.

The 4340 Scats are reasonable enough in price and better than the Eagle SIR rods in material (4340 vs 5140) I too prefer floating pins over press fit.

Factory rods are good rods for what it sounds like your doing if their round and have good bolts. Most old rods aren't round and need new bolts and re-sizing which really isn't cost effective IMO cause you can buy after market rods that are lighter and stronger for not much more than rebuilding old rods.

plus with a floating pin you get 2 pivit points way better for hi rpms

-
Back