Mattress shopping!

-

67Dart440GT

Seriously Long Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone recently purchased a new mattress?? Looking for suggestions... Anyone using the online market for beds in a box? I've been considering a purple mattress...

I have a Sleep Number mattress that I bought 10 years ago. I like it because I can adjust it to how my body feels, switching from firm to soft at the press of a button...even in the middle of the night.

We're on year 9 of a Tempurpetic. I love it. My wife thinks it's too hard, but I've never slept better. Not inexpensive, but I'm happy to pay for a good night's sleep.

She's been talking about wanting a Sleep number and if you've had one 10 years they must be good. I'm willing to let her have the one she wants this time.

We're on year 9 of a Tempurpetic. I love it. My wife thinks it's too hard, but I've never slept better. Not inexpensive, but I'm happy to pay for a good night's sleep.

She's been talking about wanting a Sleep number and if you've had one 10 years they must be good. I'm willing to let her have the one she wants this time.
Just be sure to spring for the thicker pillow top. It makes all the world of difference.

The layers in the pillow top are memory foam like the Tempurpedic with the adjustable part under it. I think you will like it too. If you get the King size, each side is independently adjustable like mine.

Google "Ace 12 foot mattress"

I've got a Tumpurpedic mattress. I like it, at first I thought it was hot, but now that I'm used to it, it's fine.
It's better than my old conventional mattress, and when my wife gets into bed, I never know it. If I could just get a mattress that she couldn't pull the blankets off or kept her from snoring my life would be better.

We recently went with a sleep number bed also. I had got to the point with my back issues that I was sleeping in a recliner because I couldn't stay in the bed we had for more than a couple of hours. I haven't slept better in years. Expensive but well worth it.

Me and my wife have been long term mattress shopping. Been putting it off for too long. I would rather buy car parts!
We bought some Purple pillows to try them out before buying a mattress. It's crazy how heavy the pillows are! I can't sleep while being hot, I rarely ever use a blanket and keep it at 70 in the house. The Purple pillows stay cold! I love it. My wife sleeps with a hoodie, sweat pants, two blankets, etc. Seems miserable. She isn't a fan of the Purple pillow.

We purchased a Casper queen size online, delivered in a box, hauled it up the stairs in the box, opened, cut the shrink wrap and placed it on the box springs - absolutely love it!

We bought a queen memory foam and it came is said box. Put it on bed and cut the straps, Voila! the thing springs to life and unfolds itself. Your mattress awaits. I uses to use the purple web site as a internet test, it was just a purple page until I started seeing the ads. They look interesting. I remember my mattress as a kid: cold, rock hard and no pillow top. Always slept on my stomach with the 3 covers on and the window wide open, all year long. Loved when it rained. .... what happened? Ill tell you..now I gotta work in it! :mad:

We had the same mattress for damn near 15 years....thing was horrible. We both have a truck load of skeletal/arthritic issues. We bought a Tempurpedic, don't remember the exact model, a couple of years ago. Most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. I do wake up with slightly less pain that I had prior to getting it...but far from the "life changer" many folks claim it is.

my brother and sister have the Tempurpetic and love it..

i bought the mattress firm version of the Tempurpetic and love it. one of the Dream Bed Lux ones. forget the exact one... very comfortable and not hot like that type of mattress used to be..

a few friends recommended the Sleep Number. i went and checked them out but felt like i was laying on a balloon. which you basically are..lol

for a good one they are stinking expensive

mattress shopping doesnt have to cost an arm and a leg, as we speak there are at least half a dozen mattresses on my local craigslist, FOR FREE

gKuzpn.gif

giphy.gif

@diymirage that first picture reminds me of a business trip I had in Las Vegas.

The company had a contract with Holiday inn. Well, about 3 minutes after I crawled into bed and turned out the lights, I start getting bit. Mind you I've never had that happen before in my life. Damn bed bugs.

I got a new room but had red welts on my arms when I got home.

Try explaining that to your wife! A trip to Vegas that leaves welts on your arms!!:elmer:

I randomly tried out som e temperpedic mattresses this weekend.... Not a fan... They are rock hard but then you start to sink in a bit.. Weird feeling.... I'll keep trying!

I thought the same thing when I first tried it. It's much different than a coil spring mattress, for sure. Especially the first time you have sex on it!:D

After a few nights you start getting used to it. Guess that's why they do the 90 day trial thing.

my brother and sister have the Tempurpetic and love it..

i bought the mattress firm version of the Tempurpetic and love it. one of the Dream Bed Lux ones. forget the exact one... very comfortable and not hot like that type of mattress used to be..

a few friends recommended the Sleep Number. i went and checked them out but felt like i was laying on a balloon. which you basically are..lol

Unless you have actually slept on a Sleep Number bed and adjusted it to get the right settings for you over the course of several nights, you have very little idea of what it is.

All other mattresses can’t be adjusted, they just are what they are...and you have to adapt to them.

The difference is that the Sleep Number bed can be adjusted to adapt to YOU.

like i said.. it felt cheap and like laying on a bubble to me. had the air up and down all over the place and didn't like it. just not for me.. i love my memory foam mattress. sleep great in it and i can actually stand up straight when getting up in the morning unlike with my 10 year old former mattress.. :)

I don’t even know what brand my bed is, I don’t sleep on it.

I’ve spent the last 15 years sleeping on the floor, or in a recliner. I find beds to uncomfortable after that.

Sleep number. Its expensive but worth it. I have a C4 queen size with a sleep number foam topper to give it a little extra softness. I get in bed, and it softens to my setting. If i need it softer, or harder i can adjust it on the fly using an app on my cell phone. Tracks my restless nights, and good nights via the app on my phone. Super awesome. Now I look forward to going to sleep at night, and wake very rested. My old bed was a tempur type, it was like sleeping in a torture chamber device for me. I got up feeling crippled every morning, and it took till about noon to feel halfway human again.

Last edited:
Just ordered a "bed in a box" mattress. Spa Sensatopms by Zinus 12" Eco-Sense Memory Foam mattress. It will be delivered on August 1st supposedly. I liked my memory foam mattress topper, sooooo hopefully this works well also!!

-
Back