Max wedge on 383?

-

txstang84

Reaction score
I'm betting this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything after a simple search. Can these heads:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-MAX-WE...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4856c80854&vxp=mtr

...be used on a 383? I see that they need special rocker stands and the intake ports need to be opened up significantly, but this looks like a helluva good price for some iconic heads. Beyond that, I really don't know jack about these heads...more gee whiz than anything

umm the ports are already bigger, thats why there are max wedge heads... but you just have to use a B intake milled for max wedge ports or RB max wedge ported intake with spacers

umm the ports are already bigger, thats why there are max wedge heads... but you just have to use a B intake milled for max wedge ports or RB max wedge ported intake with spacers

Yes. The heads will fit on a 383, but the intake won't. It will be a little bit too wide as it is made for an RB block vs a B block.

The heads will have NO HEAT CROSSOVERS if they are original MAX WEDGE. This means that it will run real rough and possibly stall if you try to put it in gear while it is cold. You will have to open up the ports on an intake to match up to the MAX heads to make them run right.

I would also check the valve to bore clearance as the MAX heads have 2.18" intakes if I remember correctly. It may not be an issue, but it is safer to check than not and be sorry.

After looking at the pics, I don't like the way the valve seats "overlap". No good pics of the intake side of the heads, only exhaust side only. I would be concerned aobut the crack that was "repaired".

Why does he mention "Ronnie Sox" in the ad??? I don't believe that these are any of the heads that Ronnie used, he's just name dropping to pump up the sale. I would do more reasearch on these before buying.

Maybe I'm just used to looking at my Stage III's, but I would check these out before buying.

Yes. The heads will fit on a 383, but the intake won't. It will be a little bit too wide as it is made for an RB block vs a B block.

The heads will have NO HEAT CROSSOVERS if they are original MAX WEDGE. This means that it will run real rough and possibly stall if you try to put it in gear while it is cold. You will have to open up the ports on an intake to match up to the MAX heads to make them run right.

I would also check the valve to bore clearance as the MAX heads have 2.18" intakes if I remember correctly. It may not be an issue, but it is safer to check than not and be sorry.
2.08 and 1.88 valves. they'll fit a 383. And like you mentioned a RB intake won't fit, too wide.

2.08 and 1.88 valves. they'll fit a 383. And like you mentioned a RB intake won't fit, too wide.

Yes, I realized that after I posted. The 413 bore is smaller than the 383. The 426 and 383 have the same bore, just different stroke. So they should work. I have Stage III Max Wedge heads and they have bigger valves than the 62 series heads did and they fit on the 426 Wedges.

I really don't like the way the exhaust valve seat runs into the intake valve seat in the 2nd to last picture that is posted.

Personally I'd walk away from that one. The heads are likely phucked up if they're on Ebay. It appears the heads have a couple of hard seats installed. I'm assuming this was to fix cracked seats. Typically once the seats have cracked the crack extends down in to the port below the level of the hard seat. They are IMO too big a head for a 383 unless its a 8000RPM race motor type deal. You'll need the rocker stands which the seller doesn't show. You'll also need an intake port matched to MaxWedge size.
food for thought

I agree 100% with Karl. That exhaust seat is too big. It is actually on the 45* seat that the intake valve will have to seat on. While the intake seat can certainly be ground to correct that, the intake valve will actually end up seating on a small portion of the exhaust seat. I don't like that either. Not to mention the fact that no one else has said anything about. What are you going to do for a rocker train? Max Wedge heads have no pedestals to hold a rocker shaft. They require special rocker gear that will set you back another 1000-1500 bucks. Lastly, I don't really care what kinda heads they are, if they ever had a crack, "I" would throw them in the scrap pile. While cast iron can be repaired, it certainly was not made to be repaired. That would be too much to have in the back of my mind. All that said, by the time you got the heads bought, shipped, found rocker gear for, you couldda bought a pair of the Edelbrock heads cheaper. Don't get them. It will be a big mistake.

Good point on the rocker gear, Rob.

My Stage III's came with pedistals cast into the head with rocker shafts and adjustable rockers similiar to the 273 or 340 T/A heads. I'm not sure what came on the 62's as mine are 64's.

4.25" bore of the 383 needs bore notches to clear the valves on the maxie heads, just like they did from the factory on the 4.25" bore of the 426 Maxies.

Thanks all for the candid replies-that's pretty much what I was looking for in regard to the sanity check. I knew they'd physically bolt on to the engine, but wasn't sure what the limfacs were, and as mentioned, more for gee whiz than anything.

I knew they needed special rocker gear, but I'm not aware of what all that entails for parts. For all I knew, it would only need spacers to bring the rocker shafts up to nominal height, and those are available. Also knew an RB intake wouldn't fit as it would be too wide, but wasn't sure if the ports on say, an RPM or Torker type intake, could be taken out to that size.

Thanks again, y'all

The heads will have NO HEAT CROSSOVERS if they are original MAX WEDGE. This means that it will run real rough and possibly stall if you try to put it in gear while it is cold.

I really wouldst worry about this unless you drive the thing in winter temps. Not having a choke is a much bigger issue and one i've always been able to deal with well down into the 40's.

Nor would I...my Magnum 5.2 doesn't have the crossover and the intake doesn't either. It runs fine where I'm located. That being said, I was just curious if it were a worthwhile pursuit since they are larger port heads and would require customization beyond what a pair of aluminum heads would require.

Since some plans have changed a little, the 383/727 I have will very likely get built with a set of 915 heads filled with new parts and old school Crane ductile rockers and get dropped into my Dad's '84 Ramcharger :) I was going to drop it in my '72, but after some careful consideration and a little cajoling on my Dad's part, I decided to go a different route.

-
Back