May need advice on 727 build

-
In 71 the front drum bushing (reaction shaft bushing) changed to 1" wide so drums aren't interchangeable.

So some of you guys have seen steel planetaries in a 727? I've never seen anything but aluminum planetaries in a 727. Seen steel and aluminum planetaries in 904's but not 727's

BTW: if swapping out front planetaries be aware that in 76 the spline angle changed so you need the early style and you can't tell them by looking at them because it was just a few degrees.

I see no reason at all to replace the wave retainer in the rear clutch because it's not a shifting clutch. All using a solid retainer will do is make for hard/rough engagement when you drop it in gear and may eventually break something. The front clutch is a shifting clutch so replacing the wave retainer with a flat one is common practice on it but not in the rear clutch

You'll might be sorry you blocked the pump vent and relocated it to the extension housing. I tried that once yrs. ago after reading it in Munroe's book and when I drove down the road it slung ATF out the vent pretty bad. Only thing I could figure was it was because I was still running a governor. IMO that mod is only for a race only trans. with the governor removed and inoperative. Maybe someone else here is familiar with it more than me and can say if that's what caused mine to sling ATF out the vent

i havent seen steel planetarys in 727 either. its hard enough to find 4-pin aluminium that fit. moving the vent to the extension housing doesnt work if your still using the govenor. but irsh rt said he put it in the case! iam waiting to see how this works out.

In 71 the front drum bushing (reaction shaft bushing) changed to 1" wide so drums aren't interchangeable.

So some of you guys have seen steel planetaries in a 727? I've never seen anything but aluminum planetaries in a 727. Seen steel and aluminum planetaries in 904's but not 727's

BTW: if swapping out front planetaries be aware that in 76 the spline angle changed so you need the early style and you can't tell them by looking at them because it was just a few degrees.

I see no reason at all to replace the wave retainer in the rear clutch because it's not a shifting clutch. All using a solid retainer will do is make for hard/rough engagement when you drop it in gear and may eventually break something. The front clutch is a shifting clutch so replacing the wave retainer with a flat one is common practice on it but not in the rear clutch

You'll might be sorry you blocked the pump vent and relocated it to the extension housing. I tried that once yrs. ago after reading it in Munroe's book and when I drove down the road it slung ATF out the vent pretty bad. Only thing I could figure was it was because I was still running a governor. IMO that mod is only for a race only trans. with the governor removed and inoperative. Maybe someone else here is familiar with it more than me and can say if that's what caused mine to sling ATF out the vent

Might Have Got My Wires Crossed With The Rear Drum Retainer, Will Have To go Back And Re Study, Yes The Front Drum Has a 1 inch Bushing And a Slot Rather than oiling holes,
The Earlier one Has The Holes and
1/2 bushing, What I am trying to Figure out Is To Make Them interchangable What other Parts Do You need to Transfer With the Drum For E.g The Early Pump , Rear Support Etc,

The Breather Is just Located Behind The Main Bellhousing , not the extension housing Which we call the Tailshaft Cast Join Have went back and Changed Back to The Bevel retainer in the Rear Drum and now got 80th Clearence Which maybe a bit much??? Might Check to see if I got a Thicker Pressure Plate
The trans will be street strip, running an EDGE 3500 STALL CONVERTOR engine 360 , 3.9 gears

Might Have Got My Wires Crossed With The Rear Drum Retainer, Will Have To go Back And Re Study, Yes The Front Drum Has a 1 inch Bushing And a Slot Rather than oiling holes,
The Earlier one Has The Holes and
1/2 bushing, What I am trying to Figure out Is To Make Them interchangable What other Parts Do You need to Transfer With the Drum For E.g The Early Pump , Rear Support Etc,

Generally if you have a early to early/mid 70's model all you need to do the swap is to use the front pump that goes with the front clutch retainer. They made some changes in the mid to late 70's that makes it tougher on swapping parts. If your late front clutch is from a later 70's trans you need to inspect everything super close to make sure all oil ports and bushings align and nothing rubs and clearances are what they should be because sometimes things are machined different and do air pressure tests to verify all the clutch packs engage properly

What year transmissions are you dealing with?

Here are some pics of the front clutch retainers
Notice the difference in the oiling slot s hole ???

Attachments

• 20140722_185952.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 20140722_185924.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 154
The Breather Is just Located Behind The Main Bellhousing , not the extension housing Which we call the Tailshaft Cast Join Have went back and Changed Back to The Bevel retainer in the Rear Drum and now got 80th Clearence Which maybe a bit much??? Might Check to see if I got a Thicker Pressure Plate
The trans will be street strip, running an EDGE 3500 STALL CONVERTOR engine 360 , 3.9 gears
pressure plates are all the same. you adjust clearance with thicker snap rings. you can recut the snap ring groove in that three disc drum for more clutches. i dont think putting the vent over top the direct drum is a good idea. all the oil thrown of the drum may flood the vent.

Here are some pics of the front clutch retainers
Notice the difference in the oiling slot s hole ???

As per pics of front drums above, I had a measure up cannot see why I cannot use the 1inch bearing shell in the early drum as long as I use the correct pump support ???.

As per pics of front drums above, I had a measure up cannot see why I cannot use the 1inch bearing shell in the early drum as long as I use the correct pump support ???.

I haven't tried it but as long as you use the newer 1" support and the oil supply ports line up without restriction I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Make sure you use the right seals in the old style carrier as they are different than the 71 and up

-
Back