Mayday

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Okay so I know this isn't an A Body but I've been struggling to fix this now for a LONG time.

2007 Dodge Caliber 2.0 L SXT, the thing has a massive belt squeal that I cannot get rid of. I have replaced the Alternator, Powersteering pumps, Water pump, AC compressor, both idler pulleys and the tensioner pulley/tensioner. And I've tried 3-4 new belts. It doesn't squeal with the belt off, so I know it's in the belt drive some where, everything looks inline and I dont see any wobbling of any thing when running, thoughts?

I've sprayed it with WD40 just to see and it does stop the squeal for a few seconds or so. SO I think something is rubbing or maybe not fully inline but everything is tight, nothing looks warped or bent.

you can buy belt dressing for that exact reason. to stop squeeks. it also may be an alignment issue. I would try the belt dressing first.

I think I'm gonna try a different brand of belt, been using Gates brand maybe I'll try goodyear gatorbaks

If its squeaking its wearing rubber and accumulating the evidence somewhere.
Fords 302 of around 1990 had a bird chirp like belt noise that was cured by pulling the p/s pulley about 1/8 inch outward. I still hear one once in a while today that was never corrected per that TSB. Anyway... the evidence appeared lightly on the under hood insulation and more heavily to the left side of that pump.
If you haven't checked or replaced the bearing in a/c pulley, aint it always the last place we look ? Good luck

If its squeaking its wearing rubber and accumulating the evidence somewhere.
Fords 302 of around 1990 had a bird chirp like belt noise that was cured by pulling the p/s pulley about 1/8 inch outward. I still hear one once in a while today that was never corrected per that TSB. Anyway... the evidence appeared lightly on the under hood insulation and more heavily to the left side of that pump.
If you haven't checked or replaced the bearing in a/c pulley, aint it always the last place we look ? Good luck

AC compressor was replaced with a brand new one just 6 months ago, no change in this squeal. I've been fighting this for 18 months now, one part at a time and now everything is changed out and still no change in the squeal. I will check for the residue you speak of though I've not found any to date but will double check

Have a friend whose Acura had a similar problem, annoying squeak he couldn't nail down. Turned out that his belt had a slight "bow" in it. New belt. Couldn't tell until he took it off, stretched it out on his workbench, and laid a straightedge across it. There was a 2" long section that had about .010 bow in it and only in that one spot. Replaced the belt, checking it first, and no more squeak.

Have a friend whose Acura had a similar problem, annoying squeak he couldn't nail down. Turned out that his belt had a slight "bow" in it. New belt. Couldn't tell until he took it off, stretched it out on his workbench, and laid a straightedge across it. There was a 2" long section that had about .010 bow in it and only in that one spot. Replaced the belt, checking it first, and no more squeak.

I've tried 4 new belts....

Belt tensioner pulley bearings going bad maybe?

Had a squeal like this on my Harley, we couldnt figure it out then found a service bulletin from Harley...spray it with a dry lube with teflon spray, fix it on the spot.

would that go away with wd40 sprayed on the belt, and then come back?

Well it`s worth looking into dont`cha think? you`ve replaced everything else it seems.
wd-40 would be the last thing I`d spray on a belt, it does have a bit of lubricant ya know.
The reason I suggested to check is I had a 04 frontier that squealed on startup like a belt.
I ignored it for a year before it got so loose that it did`nt even charge the battery. It did`nt squeal either, only on startup. Ignore it if you want, just a suggestion.

Get a kick *** stereo and drown out the noise... :glasses7:

Well it`s worth looking into dont`cha think? you`ve replaced everything else it seems.
wd-40 would be the last thing I`d spray on a belt, it does have a bit of lubricant ya know.
The reason I suggested to check is I had a 04 frontier that squealed on startup like a belt.
I ignored it for a year before it got so loose that it did`nt even charge the battery. It did`nt squeal either, only on startup. Ignore it if you want, just a suggestion.

Oh I agree it's worth checking into, and I will, thank you for the suggestion, I was just curious if wd40 would affect it, note, I only sprayed the belt with it to see if I could find where it was rubbing, I'd spray each pulley separately. Couldn't locate it.

Sorry, I really need to read these through better before I open my mouth.

you can buy belt dressing for that exact reason. to stop squeeks. it also may be an alignment issue. I would try the belt dressing first.

:banghead:

ive only been doing this for 35 years

just fixed a ford tortoise with the same problem. cant hurt to try , you will only be out 3 bucks

I use water instead of WD40. If its a squeek at a belt to pulley interface, this will cause the belt to slip in the water, and with no friction the noise quits for a few seconds. I start at the lowest point and just dribble some water between the belt and the pulley. If it doesnt quit, its not a belt to pully issue. Get out the stethoscope and sound out each component with a pulley on it. Check all the mounting brackets as well. Well maybe not all; you can quit at the one thats noisy. Hope its the first one! Good luck.

Well, changed belts again but this time I went with a dayco brand belt instead of the cheap auto store brands and low and behold, the squeal is gone. So I got comparing the 4 belts I've had from this car to the new on, the new one was slightly narrower and the ribs were slightly thinner Than the 4 gates brand belts. It also seem to fit the pulleys better. So for now, the squeal is gone, we'll see if it lasts. If it ends up just being a bad brand of belts...I'm gonna feel real stupid for not trying it sooner.

Well crap...It's BACK! same as before, so now where do I go from here?

sounds like the belt is rubbing on something. that something ought to be now shiny.

NO pulleys are wobbling? recheck the damper (that was the issue on our 05 T&C). the damper is just a press fit. you could move it a bit front/back as needed at idle for troubleshooting.

I'll give you 50 bucks for the car if you deliver, save ya the headache and sanity,,

sounds like the belt is rubbing on something. that something ought to be now shiny.

NO pulleys are wobbling? recheck the damper (that was the issue on our 05 T&C). the damper is just a press fit. you could move it a bit front/back as needed at idle for troubleshooting.

No shinny spots, I'm going to pressure wash off the engine good tonight and see if I can spot rubber build up anywhere. No wobbling pulleys. However I did notice that looking straight down, the bottom idler pulley, the belt rides farther away from the center of the smooth pulley, out about 1/8 of inch more than any other pulley, it's not rubbing and it's torqued to spec, I'm wondering if something is going on there.

Have you tried a little more tension on the belt?
Sometimes that helps to settle the belt better in the pulleys.

-
Back