mazda 8

-

slowdown

Reaction score
So my darts running really good. My neighbor has a mazda 8 and every time I get my dart out and fired up he rev's his mazda up like he wants to race. I don't think he's got any add ons other then one of them annoying mufflers they put on them rice burners.
I've looked up the 1/4 mile times on a mazda 8 and it's something like 14.5 and I don't know what my dart would run but I would sure hate to get out run by a rice burner.
My current set up is a stroked 318 with a 4 inch scat crank .40 over forged pistons scat rods, la style rhs heads lightly cleaned up with the 2.02 intake valves , hughes adjustable rockers, headers 2.5 exhaust, air gap 680 quick fuel carb, mp ignition, 3:55 gears, 833 4 speed. xe284 hyd. cam. It's a 68 dart. I've just got enough miles on it that I can put my foot in it and it seems to really get with the program.
I know street racing is a bad deal, but he's pulled up next to me a couple of times at our intersection on a long 4 lane and I have thought about just stepping on it a bit to shut him up. Maybe.... Any thoughts?
I wouldn't stand on it for very long If I did.

What appears to be stock may not be. My 2002 Nissan Skyline GTR V-Spec 2 Nur model looked stock but made 250HP per wheel (it's an AWD car) and would wipe the floor with anybody who wanted a taste so to speak. Oh if you wanna race him take it to the track, no amount of pride is worth the risk of a street race just sayin.

That said who's driving plays a big part in a race.

I reserve the "ricer" term for people who sticker bomb, use stick on chrome, DONK wheels, or "hellaflush", ridiculous amounts of camber, or people who utter "mad tyte v-tak yo."

Being both a Mopar and a Mazda fan myself, I wouldn't under estimate that Rotary engine. They are like the genie on Aladdin describes "PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER... itty bitty living space" when built up. Eunos cosmo 3 rotor swaps are common, as are custom 4 rotor swaps.

BUT, whatever you do, please don't try and settle it on the street. Take it to the track where it's safer for everyone. Then there's numbers and trap speeds to make the results 100% known ;)

Talk to the guy, chances are he probably likes your car. Gear heads are gear heads, regardless of brand.

Go top the track alone to run your car to see what it will do....when you get over your disappointment bolt in a 250 shot tank of Nitrous and call him out.

Good luck were all counting on you.......................

You're wanting to know if racing this might embarrass you?........The answer is YES!!

Attachments

• mazda8-crystalwhite-front_656x349.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 213
All this time I was assuming the meant RX8.

You should definitely race his mini van. But I'd do 1/8th mile, those vans will get ya long run ;)

Is this a car like in the picture posted by flyfish or a RX with the rotary motor? If I was worried about the car posted above beating me I would be embarrassed. The RX runs 14.5 and up.

Haha, I'm just being a smart alec...I would also assume he meant RX8 as well. Your location says Colorado, so if you are near Bandimere Speedway I would go there to find out. At altitude that 14.5 will turn into a 15.5+...so, I would say you have nothing to fear...assuming you can drive a stick.

For what its worth, my old 360 street motor pushed my car to 13.5's on the mountain when I lived out there. With a stroked motor you should be just fine...probably in the high 12's @ Bandimere (unless your suspension/tire combo is not up to the task).

Do what you want. The car could be fast but you wolnt know until you ask him about the motor or run him. I know a lot of people are really against street racing and I have every reason to be also. In your case if your close to a track then go to track. I would be lying if I said I never street raced so if it does come down to that then make sure there is ZERO traffic don't take it up to real high speeds.

What appears to be stock may not be. My 2002 Nissan Skyline GTR V-Spec 2 Nur model looked stock but made 250HP per wheel (it's an AWD car) and would wipe the floor with anybody who wanted a taste so to speak. Oh if you wanna race him take it to the track, no amount of pride is worth the risk of a street race just sayin.

That said who's driving plays a big part in a race.

I still want a pic of your skyline. Those cars are impressive. If guys on here will get butt hurt about a pic of a import then pm it.

I'm sure the RX8 is much improved over the RX7s but a rotory has no bottom end. they wind up high and make a lot of power up there.

I say catch him out of the hole and he will have a hard time catching you.

Only you can decide if your going to do it on the street, or strip. :cheers:

I'm sure the RX8 is much improved over the RX7s but a rotory has no bottom end. they wind up high and make a lot of power up there.

I say catch him out of the hole and he will have a hard time catching you.

Only you can decide if your going to do it on the street, or strip. :cheers:
You where right. Out of the hole, and in stock form with a loud muffler they aren't that quick. Thanks...

I still want a pic of your skyline. Those cars are impressive. If guys on here will get butt hurt about a pic of a import then pm it.

Sorry I forgot all about that, here you go. I only have a couple of pictures of it because when I sell vehicles, the new owner gets everything I have for it parts, manuals, pictures, everything.

Attachments

• My 02-GTR Side.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 160
  • My 02-GTR Engine.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 176
Sorry I forgot all about that, here you go. I only have a couple of pictures of it because when I sell vehicles, the new owner gets everything I have for it parts, manuals, pictures, everything.

Good looking car! I almost like that style more then the new gtr.

You where right. Out of the hole, and in stock form with a loud muffler they aren't that quick. Thanks...

AT a B:burnout:eek:y!!!:cheers:

soooooo? lets here the story.....................................

When I first got my car I was lined up at a stop light against a lady in her camary station wagon. When the light went green I showed her the stuff and she slowly walked away from me.... I'm pretty sure she wasn't aware we were drag racing... I've been looking for a rematch but haven't had any luck.

Do you remember them little GLH AND GLHS 4 banger cars?

Had been at the track racing and was coming home. Pulled into my small little town around 1:00am. Setting at a traffic light thinking of running the red light as the street was empty.
This kid in a GLH pulls up to me and revs his eng. I look over and smile, pull it down into low one and waited for the light.
Light turns green and i stand on it, Hit 2nt and he's way back there,.... so i hold my speed until he gets closers. Mash the throttle again, and he blows by me like i was sitting still.

Fallow him around for a bit before he pulled in to a convenient store.(I think he though i want to kick his *** or something) ended up shooting the **** with him for a while.

That was the beginning of my education of them cars. :book:

-
Back