Mechanical aptitude!

-
I have no clue about mechanical. Probably when I was about 6 or 7 when I was taking apart anything and everything I could get my hands on and putting it back together...or trying to at least.

I have no clue about mechanical. Probably when I was about 6 or 7 when I was taking apart anything and everything I could get my hands on and putting it back together...or trying to at least.

Same here. Not sure on the age but I use to take die cast cars apart as much as possible then put em back together. There were of course other things that I got taken apart and didn't get back together.

I have a brother 16 years older than me. Summer 1976, I am almost 4 years old, and he is in the driveway changing 727s in his 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe. I go out to see what he's doing, and end up being his tool gopher. Later that same summer, he stuffs he inside one of his brand new M50-14 Kelly Super Chargers and rolls me around the house. He gave me a scissor jack around that same summer, and I would jack up my pedal tractor to "work" on it. Being big brother's tool gopher, I had learned my fractions before starting kindergarten.

By the time I was 7, I was stripping small parts off of any car parked in our grass that hadn't moved in a few weeks. At 8, I was helping my dad with his daily driver C-bodies, replacing starters, front brake pads, big block valve cover gaskets, etc. At 12, I was the town bicycle repair professional, and would buy beat-up yard sale bikes and disassemble, repaint, and reassemble them and resell them, or sometimes part them out, selling wheels, tires, etc to the neighborhood kids and installing what I sold. At that same age, I bought my first car, a 70 Coronet, with paper route money. And so it goes...........

My first foray into "hot rodding" was around 1974 when I would be 5 y/o and it involved putting several hand fulls of dirt down the gas filler of the family Volvo thinking it would make it run faster.Needless to say,it never ran again.
I still remember my dad phoning the gas station and yelling at them that they sold him dirty gas...:eek:ops:

My dad worked for Fairbanks Morse, and during the summer he would take me there on days they were pouring the engine blocks in the foundry, (yeah I know couldn't happen today). They would pour then break the molds of huge 12 cylinder diesel engines. Those huge Pielsticks ran our Navy for years. It was one of the most awesome things to see, molten metal turned into this huge engine after a few hours.

-
Back