Mechanical Vs Electric Fuel Pump

-
I use a quick fuel manual fuel pump, pros are: no need for any electrical, pressure is preset so no regulator is required and works well with the quick fuel carb

I run a 367/420hp(or so) streeter on an HO mechanical,and have never needed more .
The thing with Mechanical pumps is they pump more and more as RPM rises;and less and less as the Rs drop to idle. Hmmmmmm. On demand fuel. And I can't hear it. At all. Not even faintly. And I don't have big$ tied up in pretty AN stuff.
See, a streeter probably spends about 90% of it's life at sub 3500rpm, and like .5% of it's time over 6000(guessing,to be sure). So really, a teener pump would probably do for me.

Last edited:
I run a 367/420hp(or so) streeter on an HO mechanical,and have never needed more .
The thing with M-pumps is they pump more and more as RPM rises;and less and less as the Rs drop to idle. Hmmmmmm. On demand fuel. And I can't hear it. At all. Not even faintly. And I don't have big$ tied up in pretty AN stuff.
See, a streeter probably spends about 90% of it's life at sub 3500rpm, and like 1/2 a% over 6000(guessing,to be sure). So really, a teener pump would probably do for me.

You don't need AN fittings to run an electric pump.

If you want progressive fuel delivery you can run a controller or a newer Holley progressive pump OR run a return line.

You don't have to have a loud or even audible electric pump.

This is 2016 and technology has come a long way. Me...I embrace it.

Look at it this way. ALL new cars, "street cars" if you will come with electric pumps. And for good reason..

IMHO, the little bit of extra wiring is well worth the benefit of having stable, fully controllable and on demand fuel that a mechanical pump simply cannot provide.

You don't need AN fittings to run an electric pump.

If you want progressive fuel delivery you can run a controller or a newer Holley progressive pump OR run a return line.

You don't have to have a loud or even audible electric pump.

This is 2016 and technology has come a long way. Me...I embrace it.

Look at it this way. ALL new cars, "street cars" if you will come with electric pumps. And for good reason..

IMHO, the little bit of extra wiring is well worth the benefit of having stable, fully controllable and on demand fuel that a mechanical pump simply cannot provide.

To each is there own. I hated having one. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Carter high flow here. 3/8 line. Holley regulator.
Been on there for 10+ years never had a problem.

Watching hotrod drag week and everybody that makes tons of power that has to have one has 3 or more spares with. Hahahaha

To each is there own. I hated having one. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Carter high flow here. 3/8 line. Holley regulator.
Been on there for 10+ years never had a problem.

Watching hotrod drag week and everybody that makes tons of power that has to have one has 3 or more spares with. Hahahaha

To each their own is fine.

I was pointing out the things you said were false.

My electric pump is 17 years old.

Do you carry three spares in your daily driver?....... Do you hear the one in your daily driver?..... exactly

The thing with Mechanical pumps is they pump more and more as RPM rises;and less and less as the Rs drop to idle. Hmmmmmm. On demand fuel. And I can't hear it. At all. Not even faintly. And I don't have big$ tied up in pretty AN stuff.
See, a streeter probably spends about 90% of it's life at sub 3500rpm, and like .5% of it's time over 6000(guessing,to be sure). So really, a teener pump would probably do for me.

Of course no application absolutely needs AN stuff, And I certainly wouldn't waste my hard earned money on that pretty stuff. Just like I wouldn't spend money on electric pumps and regulators,and insulated mounting stuff.
I was merely stating what works for me;cheap, easy, reliable,and safe. If the engine quits, so does the pump.If the car goes upside-down, the engine stalls,the pump quits, and the fuel stops being pumped.If I rupture a fuel line while doing whatever, the pump loses prime and the engine quits.
And the line from the M-pump to the carb is one piece steel.So, it's as safe as you are gonna get.
My P4007040 has been going for nearly 2 decades. And I don't need to worry about how I'm gonna get under the car to replace a failed pump at the rear crossmember, when I'm 500 miles from home.
And,you can't get any cheaper.
So perhaps I didn't exactly answer correctly; so;
For me, as to a mechanical pump,the pros where; cheap, easy, reliable, easy to replace on the side of the road,and as safe as it gets.

BUMP THIS THREAD. Doing a Magnum swap on my 70 dart now. First Mopar, all new to me. I am going carbed. 750 carb, airgap mani. Anyways, I wanna run an electric pump, can someone help me out with tips?

BUMP THIS THREAD. Doing a Magnum swap on my 70 dart now. First Mopar, all new to me. I am going carbed. 750 carb, airgap mani. Anyways, I wanna run an electric pump, can someone help me out with tips?

Smart choice. What kinds of tips are you looking for?

Honestly, alot. Not sure how many gph I "need", and if a return line is neccasry. Would like to keep the stock fuel tank.

If you are keeping the stock tank run an external pump.

The GPH requirement formula is available online if you want to be scientific about it. Just google it. But most manufacturers will tell you what size you need. I.e. supports up to 550hp..etc. How much HP are you making?

A return line is sometimes mandated by the manufacturer of the pump. It is always a good idea. but not always needed.

I run a Holley Black pump..feeds both my 360 and 416 which ever is in the duster at the time no problem..loud as hell and i love it..lets me know its working:D:D

I run an Aeromotive 1000. Used to run a holley black.

Noise depends on both the pump you run and how and where it's mounted.

-
Back