MH Tranny questions

-

chlngr1970

Reaction score
I have a 440/727 out of a Winnebago that I am going to drop in my '72 D100 truck. The tranny in the truck ( 318/727 ) has a slip yoke but the MH tranny does not. Is the only diffrerence in the 727 between the BB and SB the bell housing? If so, can I swap my tail shaft from my SB tranny to my BB tranny?

Sorry it's not an A-Body, but I am trying to save her from the wrecking yard...

j

In case I wasn't clear enough, here is the MH tranny I have...
4994570997_159bba1e15_m.jpg

Here is what I am pulling out of my truck...
5002353009_f9771d74fd_m.jpg

5002959502_7d4570ff08_m.jpg

Will the shaft off a smallblock 727 work on a big block 727, or am I asking for trouble. I have a couple BB 727s that I was planning on using one of for my Duster, but I might have to try one of them.

Is the shaft length the same for the small block and do you think I can use the drive-shaft that came out of it?

j

They are the same length for BB and SB transmissions that were used in cars but the output shaft changed in 76. It has a slightly different spline angle on the front end so you have to make sure and use planetary gears for the right year output shaft. In your case just keep the planetaries with their corresponding output shaft.

You do realize you have to completely disassemble the entire trans. to swap the output shaft, right? Also required is resetting the input shaft end play.

I've done it in the past. As mentioned above you need to swap the output shaft as well. Involves tearing both tranny's down.

Fuq :(

I may have to just take one of the tranny's I have for my Duster and put it in the Truck.

Hmmmm....

Thanks for the info...much appreciated

j

Glad to help Chlngr. I wish they would have designed them to have been able to replace the tailshaft without a complete tear down but they didn't.

-
Back