Mike's Dart

-
Well, just a slight change of direction. Pushrod sold me a 383 he had laying around so it looks like I'm going big block! Cleaned it up this weekend and got it sprayed with some fresh black paint. Looks like its .060 over with Hughes 2050 pistons and a Crane 278 cam. Freshly rebuilt 452 heads too. I'm gonna go with a .020 head gasket to help get the compression up a bit seeing that the pistons are sitting about .030 down. I am still hoping for 400 horse but we'll see what happens. I'm planning on going with an M1 intake and some tri-Y headers to top it off. I;ll get some pics up this week to keep yall interested! Right now I've got a lot of painting and cleaning to do.

400 h.p is a cakewalk for a 383. You should have no problems making that.

Well, its time to blow some dust off of this thread! I pulled the slant yesterday, transmission this morning (without a jack- dont recommend it!) and sat the big boy in there last night about 7:30. Man that thing looks sexy in there. The transdapt mounts worked out pretty good and I dont exactly know why they are so much cheaper than the schumachers?? Anyway, here's some eye candy for ya- enjoy.

383 in car 001.jpg

383 in car 005.jpg

383 in car 003.jpg

383 in car 004.jpg

Mike that BB looks good in there! Nice work. I'll try to stop by this week and have a closer look.

car looks terrific! i like the steelies! nice bb too....i wish i went with a bb sometimes...

Looks very nice. But you stuck the motor in there before dropping in headers? It'll be coming back out!

Wylde1.

I kind of figured that. My friend isnt getting his hoist back far a little while! As soon as my tax check comes in I'll be getting some Schumachers and putting them in. I got a wild hair up my *** Friday night and just had to sit that thing in there. It actually went in there so easy that I dont mind having to pull it again.

sweet car, that will be a BIG change from that slant 6. Looks like a lot of fun.

That is a very sweet dart.... i have a dart also same color same every thing. i love the look..... thats the look i am looking for. sweet what size are the back tires on your dart??? plans are to put a 340/418 727 8 3/4 rear.

Well, I guess I'll fill yall in on whats been happening lately. I've gotten about 8 deliveries this week so no shortage on parts! Schumachers are painted and installed, dist is in, alt brackets, blah, blah... I'll be easing her down into her new home tomorrow morning to see how it looks. Oh, and the water pump pulley will be painted!

100_3851.jpg

100_3852.jpg

100_3853.jpg

That is a very sweet dart.... i have a dart also same color same every thing. i love the look..... thats the look i am looking for. sweet what size are the back tires on your dart??? plans are to put a 340/418 727 8 3/4 rear.

Thanks for the complements! I'm running 245/60-15's on 15 x 7's with 4.25" of BS. They fit pretty good but I had to roll the pass side fender lip a little.

What a day! I woke up at 6, in the garage by 7. Took a few hours but I managed to wrestle the 727 into its home. Holy crap those things are heavy- thank God for my floor jack! I'll have to get some pics up of the engine as it sits now and keep yall up to date. I've got a minor (hopefully) issue with the starter but I guess I'll start a new thread on that one.

Hey Mike. Can't wait to see the pics. Your ride is looking awsome. My 71 will be keeping the /6 and i have to swap to my "new" 8 1/4 rear. Maybe one of these days I will start my thread. BTW are you going to be able to keep the power steering?

Yup, power steering is staying The Schumacher headers are a really nice piece- no clearance issues around the box. My mounting brackets are coming from 440 source and should be here tomorrow so I can get that done. Thanks for the complements and I'll take some pics today if my daughter lets me out of the house!

Dude love the 383 in there... I'm anxiously waiting to see how tight that thing is all buttoned up. Man it looks good. I wonder how much heavier the 383 is though?? Awesome project man

Thanks Chuck. I have to say that with the trans dapt mounts and Schumcher headers the fit is really nice. As far as the weight goes, we'll see when I get it on the road but its got and aluminum intake, water pump, and headers so quite a bit lighter than a stock 383. Hopefully I'll find out how it handles in a month or so.

-
Back