mild 440 build

-

stansblue72

one of one 1953 ME!
Legendary Member
Reaction score
My brother recently bought a 73 charger that came with a 75 440 with 452 heads. He's wanting to rebuild it with a few performance upgrades. He want to keep it streetable and running on pump gas.
He's thinking new pistons and some head work to get the compression up around 9-1. He's stuck on what bump stick to put in it. Was hoping some of you might have some suggestions on cam and valve springs.

He is also thinking about roller rockers.

Like I said he is not wanting to create a monster but would love to pull a few more ponies out of it and be able to fry a tire of two once in a while. :D

That cam from summit sounds good... I know alot of ppl dont like the old mopar cams but thats all weve ever used, the mp .484/.284 is a great cam, will work great with what your brother has, or with a little more converter than stock, say 3000-3500 and some 3.55 or better gears the mp .509 cam is hard to beat

Thanks, twayne I'll pass the info on to him. A brand new in the box edelbrock 6 pack intake manifold came with the 440 but I think he is going to sell it and go with a 4 barrel.

Never hurts to have a few differet opinions, keep us posted on the build

One of my favorites is the Crane H-302-2. Very strong in mild applications. Another choice if he's going with adjustable rockers is the MP .528 - just make sure it's degreed properly.

One of my favorites is the Crane H-302-2. Very strong in mild applications. Another choice if he's going with adjustable rockers is the MP .528 - just make sure it's degreed properly.

X2, if hes going with adjustable rockers the .528 is a awesome cam, we have one in a fairly stock 383, at 3500lb went 12.65 and it gets driven everywhere. But moperis right about degreeing it in, make sure its right

-
Back