Milodon 30985 oil pan to 5.9 magnum, what gasket?

-

Trophywa

Reaction score
I went to install this pan last night and the back corners hang up with the one piece felpro gasket. Should I get the LA style 4 piece gasket or am I missing something? I had a Morosso pan on before,same felpro gasket with no problems. Any help is appreciated.

I went to install this pan last night and the back corners hang up with the one piece felpro gasket. Should I get the LA style 4 piece gasket or am I missing something? I had a Morosso pan on before,same felpro gasket with no problems. Any help is appreciated.

The only thing I am aware of regarding using the one piece Magnum gasket instead of the 4 piece LA style gasket on an LA style oil pan is that the front timing covers are slightly different for about one inch on each side where the timing cover cut out meets the pan rails. See attached pic. Many use the one piece Magnum gasket successfully on the LA oil pans by adding some additional sealant at those two pan notches. Others have hammered the pan notches flat. Either way, sealant is recommended at all the corners of the oil pan.

The rear of the pans are the same with the exception of the obviously smaller older style, 318 pan rear seal cutout. (not pictured)

Oil Pan Gaskets (Medium).JPG

Oil Pan pic (Medium).JPG

Thank you sir, I have the one piece, and now the 4 piece, gonna try some test fitting and go from there. Sealant will be used either way I go. Thank you for your help.

Thank you sir, I have the one piece, and now the 4 piece, gonna try some test fitting and go from there. Sealant will be used either way I go. Thank you for your help.

Sealant (including a smear on the proper length pan bolt threads), a straight oil pan flange and oil free surfaces. Don't over torque the pan and snug them up evenly to 15 ft lbs.

LA pan use an LA gasket, Magnum pan use a Magnum gasket.

-
Back