Milodon oil pan and what is correct oil level on dip stick

-

jawbone

Cuda_queer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Stock oil pan was replaced with Milodon 4 quart #30750. With 5 quarts in the engine and a Wix 51515 filter, dip stick shows 1 quart low. Pickup is on bottom of pan. Question is, what is the correct oil level. Is one quart low considered the new normal? To me the oil level reference is still the tube and stick in the block so level would be low. Any opinions or thoughts?

IMHO

The stock oil level would be the same regardless of the oil pan.

If the new pan is deeper and holds more oil the level should be that same.

Example...

OEM 4 qt plus 1 for filter. Dip stick shows full.

Change to a 5qt oil pan plus 1 for the filter (when you have 4 qt plus one for the filter in the pan) it should show 1 qt low. Add 1 more qt and the dip stick will show full.

the level in the engine will be the same you just have 1 more qt in the pan

Thanks for the confirmation. Milodon was on the other side of the fence with this but did not sit well with me.

Imo, the advantage of a deep pan (Assuming yours is deeper/more capacity) is that you can have more oil, AND keep it farther away from the crank.
I would find out what milodon says is the capacity of the pan,with filter.
Then I would change the oil, put in one less than stated, mark the dipstick, and drive, fairly aggressively, and see if at any point oil pressure drops off. If it does, add the last quart and again mark the stick.
Engine masters has done a couple oil level/good pan/stock pan comparisons
Granted, a fixed engine dyno, so it doesn't have the g-forces of a car, but..... they found quite a bit of power, running a deep pan THREE quarts low, and also found that a VERY high dollar pan was worth 20 hp (at least) over a decent deep pan .

Imo, the advantage of a deep pan (Assuming yours is deeper/more capacity) is that you can have more oil, AND keep it farther away from the crank
Agreed, I would think that a good windridge tray will reduce the froth and HP loss under most circumstances

Agreed, I would think that a good windridge tray will reduce the froth and HP loss under most circumstances
Agreed. A good windage tray is PART of the picture.
I want baffles in the pan, a windage tray, and as much oil as far away from the crank as possible, without TOO MUCH compromising of ground clearance. To me , a huge width and length sump with proper baffling , and NOT a lot of additional depth (milodon road race pan) would be ideal. Won't be cheap.

-
Back