mini starter question

-

slowdown

Reaction score
So I finally got some time off from work and I plan on firing up my car this weekend, but. I got this little starter from autozone I think I got it for a 2000 Dakota 5.2 if I remember right. Well I put it on my car and it's a little hard to tell but it looks like the gear on the starter might be sticking out a little to far. Not much but just enough to make me wonder if I need to shim this away from the flywheel a little bit. Has anyone came across this.
I don't want the starter to bind after I start it as I am breaking in a new cam an hoping it all goes good. I was going to take the engine in an have it dyno'd and broken in but I couldn't get time off from work to get it done. Anyway the little starter is in a 4 speed car not an automatic. Small block.

I don't think it matters auto vs manual. The starter is shimmed by the dust shield.

............And...........the thickness of the dust shield should not make the difference between hitting or not I run a 727, didn't have a dust shield "for awhile" and ran without. No Mopar starter should need shimmed.

What's "too far"?
If it isn't touching the ring gear it should be fine.

Even if is truly is too close, it won't hurt to try it. Sometimes the throw-out fork doesn't return the pinion gear and the engine turns the starter as you drive. Makes the starter act as a generator. Owners usually hear a strange whine and figure it out.

thanks for the input. I don't have a dust shield, and it looked like it was touching the flywheel, I reached up with a screwdriver to see if the gear would go back far enough not to touch but it wouldn't. So it would have definitely made some noise I think. I did have to shim it to get it off the flywheel. Thanks.

-
Back